gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 1996 VW Passat GLX wagon. On cold morning starts,

I have a 1996 VW Passat GLX wagon. On cold morning starts, the auto starts and runs smoothly, however until the cabin or whatever warms up, I have no reable instrument dials. Also affected is the milage and time memories. Can you tell what relay or whatever nees to be replaced?>
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.

My name is ***** ***** I am a professional here at Just Answer. I noticed that your question had not received a response and thought I would see if you still need help with this.I apologize for the delay and I hope I can still assist you with this here.

From what you have described here this sounds like an intermittent internal electrical fault with the instrument cluster itself.I have seen the instrument cluster fail in the past before acting up like this here needing replaced.I would have the fault codes checked/read out of the instrument cluster with a compatible scan tool plugged into your vehicle to see what codes are set as this will help diagnose and repair this issue here.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Pete, My problem seems to be a relay that is not fuctioning properly. This condition has been steadily getting worse. There may be more than one errant problem. One in the total instrument panel circuitry and an other maintaining the memory during the engine cranking mode. Nothing of this problem has ever shown up as a malfunction code. I'm looking for someone that can tell me WHICH and WHERE the relay is that controls these functions when I turn the ignition key to start. I've enclosd a wiring diagram that shows the memory control relay in the bottom right corner of page 1
This is the information I'm looking for. If you or anyone else at Just Answer cannot furnish me this info, than I don't feel that your service is worth your charges.Larry

Unfortunately my info doesnt cover this wiring or the relays on this model here that I can see when I did a search earlier on this.Others here may be able to assist further though.

I will open your question up for others here to see if someone else can assist further on this as there may be others here that may have more info on what to check or do with this issue.I hope you can get this resolved with ease.No need to reply to my last post here unless it is a last resort as it will keep your question locked to me and others will not be able to view it.If you feel you want to continue to work with me on this feel free to reply at any time but keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair this without seeing your vehicle.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Pete. I sure hope someone can help. Local dealers have offered no suggestions other than to leave the car overnight.
LarryPS: Did you receive the diagram?

Pretty old Passat! There were some issues on these, it is in the instrument cluster circuit board. If you take the cluster out, and remove the gauges and all from the circuit board, and remove the circut board from the cluster, then you can access the back side of it. You can apply a soldering iron to each of the pins on the board, melt the solder, and see if it drops away to the backside of the board. If so, add a little more electrical solder.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I'm the original and only owner of this car. It has served me well. About your suggestion, I know that thermal contractions can cause a make or break in an electrical connection. However, I don't feel that this is case here. Removing and checking the rear of the instrument panel is the last thing I want to do. I do believe that this problem lies with a sluggish relay or worn contact points. What I would really like from you guys is the part number and location of the relays in these circuits. Could the ignition switch contain the control over these functions?

Does your clock reset itself? In that case you could replace the load reduction relay, but I know these circuit boards go bad on these Passats and Corrados from about this vintage. (I am on my 4th 93 Eurovan and have done this to all of them because of faulty fuel gauge and temp gauge readings) Not so much with the Jetta/Golf for some reason

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The clock and trip mileage go back to zero. They continue as expected, but go back to zero when I re-crank. Can you tell me which of the many relays is the load reduction relay and where it might be located?

Let me have your VIN and I can look up info specific to your build data

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you, ***** ***** you are on to something.
The VIN: WVWFE83A6TE132766

The load reduction is in position 4 in the relay panel under the dash- top row, reading from the left. it should have an "18" printed in white on the top face.

gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified