vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I am getting a code telling me I have a lean condition bank

Customer Question

I am getting a code telling me I have a lean condition bank 1. When I try to start it when it is cold it will not start it just turns over and over. But if it does start the first thing in the morning it will start every time without a problem.
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: Hello I have a 2001 Volkswagen Beetle and I have a code po171. My problem is when I go to start the car for the first time in the morning if it does not start it will not start for the day. This no start problem seems to be when the temperature is cold outside.
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have good connections at the battery. Yes I am fixing it myself. I have checked fuel pressure and I have checked the crank position sensor.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

was that the only code stored? what happens if you press on the gas pedal 1/2 way does it start cold?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I have tried to start it with the throttle held open.Yes this is the only codes that comes up.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

if you spay some carb spay in the intake then crank does it start and run?