Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

An oil leak that i suspect is the camshaft seals, I've

Customer Question

An oil leak that i suspect is the camshaft seals
JA: Have you ever replaced the gaskets? Maybe the hoses?
Customer: I've replaced the valve cover gaskets and installed a new PCV hose/valve
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2003 Passat v6 GLX
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am, I've replaced the valve cover gaskets and replaced the pcv valve and hoses
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 5 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner till early morning.

• I am sorry no one has helped yet in return for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I believe I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'm free now, if that works for you.

Have you visually inspected this area to see the oil coming from the cam seals?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
No, I haven't taken off the timing covers to see oil coming from the seals, but I recently replaced an alternator and it was soaking in oil. The camshaft seal on the passenger side is right above the alternator and I already replaced valve cover gaskets on both sides, so I figure I'm getting close. Just wanted to get a second opinion on this before I waste an afternoon getting this into the service position and having to remove the cams. Any ideas?

I agree that is the likely source with this new info. A tech would use brake cleaner to get the engine completely dry of all external oil leaks, then they would add dye and run the engine about 100 miles then use a UV light to find the source of the oil leak.

Please read this:

1. Understand it's not one answer and done. We can communicate back and forth many times.
  2. I do not work at or for Just Answer. You and I can only communicate on this page.
  3. When you're pleased or happy with my answer or efforts to help you. At the top of the screen please rate me or reply and say ( I'm pleased.)
  4. When I help you I am only paid from your question value deposit when you rate me on this screen. Rating does not close the post and you're more than welcome to follow up.

Thanks for using Just Answer, Chris

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
I'll get a dye/up light kit this weekend and test it when I have time. I'll let you know how it goes. Thanks

Your welcome

Hello again Chris here,

1. I have to assume you were not pleased with my help, because you have not replied or rated the post.
  2. What would you like to do regarding your question now?
  3. Do you still need help? Please reply I want you to get equal to or more than what you paid for.
  4. This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. That can prevent me from being able to post answers to your replies.

Thanks Chris