vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Drove to work fine, put car in reverse to back into parking

Customer Question

drove to work fine, put car in reverse to back into parking space and check engine light came on
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: What year is your Space?
Customer: its a 2004 vw beetle
JA: Are you fixing your Space yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just got here... I don't fix cars
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: just had oil changed 800miles ago and put anti freeze in too.. drove fine this morning
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 4 months ago.

There are many areas in the power train controls that will make the light come on or flash. You will want to have the codes read to see what area the problem is in. Normally Autozone will read the codes for free and even tell you the area of concern, as well as clear the code out of the computer.

.

You will want to be sure that the fuel cap is tight. A loose cap will set an EVAC code in the PCM.

…..

The code(s) can only be cleared with a scan tool. Not only a parts store can clear it but any shop with a scan tool.

.

When we know the code(s) then we will have a better understanding as to what the cause may be.