vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a 2006 VW Beetle and recently, last week I began to

Customer Question

Hi. I have a 2006 VW Beetle and recently, last week I began to have problems when trying to start the my car. I put the key in to the ignition switch and it will not turn, its appears to be locked, but the steering wheel is not lock. It takes me a few tries to get the key to turn. What do you think the problem is?
JA: Have you applied constant pressure to the steering wheel while turning the key in the ignition?
Customer: yes
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, but I don't want to take it to local dealer because they rude and has a bad rep. I have looked up online of what it could be, but I am not sure.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no, just an idea of what it could be so I can speak to it when speaking to a mechanic
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 20 days ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

Hey how are you

1- Can you take it to local parts store ,like advance or auto zone and get battery and alternator checked and als have them scan the car computer and give you a print out of the fault codes and post the results back here for me ,I can help you further

2- low voltage, chargins system has to 100% or cause the ignition switch not to turn is,or the igntion switch itself is bad and is being intermittent to when to turn

3- do you 1 or 2 keys,have u tried 2nd key ,amke sure it is no key fob signal issue

Lets start here & we go from there

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat