vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

05 VW GTI 1.8t, when car is cold and I start to drive it I

Customer Question

05 VW GTI 1.8t, when car is cold and I start to drive it I get high rpm's and low acceleration. Just had a gasket installed between the turbo and the exhaust manifold. At first, I would let the car warm up and it would be fine. Now it does it more often, even after the car is warmed up.
JA: Is this your first time dealing with this issue? What size is your engine?
Customer: Yes and it is 1.8t and it never happened before I had the gasket replaced.
JA: What year is your Turbo?
Customer: I am not for sure. The vehicle is a 2005.
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I have not done any work on this vehicle, I take it to a mechanic shop for all the work.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Just that I was not having this issue before.
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information

• is the check engine light on?
  • was a scan test performed to see if there is any codes stored ?
  • any recent accidents ?
  • does the vehicle studder at times ?

please let me know

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Check engine light is not on, scan was performed but I didn't get any info from the mechanic, was hit on passenger side door and rear quarter panel in August, but car has been repaired and no the car does not studder.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

is this a manual transmission or automatic?

vin # will help me!!

thanks

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Automatic and vin number-9BWDE61J854038157
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

does it go through the gears or does it seem it is stuck in one gear like 3rd gear?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
it doesn't want to shift out of first gear when it is cold but once it warms up it will shift through all gears
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

ok. do you have vag com scan tool?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
No I don't, can I purchase one in a store?
Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I have a brand new lap-top and what do I do with the cable?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

there is a program that you install and the cable is the key and then run the program with the cable hooked up to read codes and read values of what the ecu is reading . with your issue there are values needed to investigate of the low power issue you have!!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
ok, this is similar to the OBD reader but more in-depth on diagnosing certain codes and problems, correct? Does the program come with the cable?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

yes correct and yes it does!!!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Ok, I have to sign off now, have to get up early for work. Can I request you again in a few days? I am going to buy the cable and run the diagnostics like you say, may take a few days to get it.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

that is just ok !! just keep in touch!!

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 8 days ago.

my pleasure!!