vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I replaced the engine in a 1999 jetta it is a 2.0 trying to

Customer Question

I replaced the engine in a 1999 jetta it is a 2.0 trying to start it does'nt seem to have gas flowing if I crank it for a few seconds I get the oil light
JA: Just to clarify, what are the exact lights you're talking about?
Customer: oil light
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I replaced the engine first time trying to start it since the install
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need some more information

• when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on ?
  • did you use the same engine harness that came with the car or with the replacement engine?

please let me know Don!!!

thanks

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
the check engine light is on but I don't have the secondary fan motor plugged in I can't find the plug still searching for it but that should'nt effect the car starting and yes the same harness
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
no I don't need a phone call yet
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

no it would not . do you have a scanner to see if there are any short to ground faults to the injectors or other solenoids?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
sorry no I don't the only scanner I have is for emissions
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

did you run a scan to see what faults are stored?

if not please do!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
going through the scans now
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
ok just for your info the speed sensor plug broke I do have a new one on order the codes I got 0730 gear ratio
0740 torque converter solenoid circuit open
0300 misfire
0303 misfire cylinder 3
0304 misfire cylinder 4
0301 misfire cylinder 1
0341 camshaft position sensor A circuit
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

speed sensor ... crank sensor broke?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The car was originally my neighbors he blew the engine he tried to replace it himself but gave up and gave me the car I do have parts from the old engine should I replace the fuel injectors
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

no if you do not have fuel pressure you need to check if you have 12 volts at the fuel pump connector.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I replaced the speed sensor plug now the scan says
P0715 Turbine/Input Shaft Speed Sensor Circuit
P0341 Camshaft Position Sensor A Circuit Range/Performance B1
I did a little research possible not getting good contact on the speed sensor plug that I installed my question is if that is the case would that affect the camshaft sensor
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I also found you may as well say its a 2000 Jetta 2.0
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

Don thanks for getting back. the p0341 is a fault with the engine and the p0715 is a fault with the transmission. when you replaced the motor did you replace the timing belt while the engine was out of the vehicle before installation?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I did
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

The next step is to recheck the timing belt to make sure that the belt is in time correctly!!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
how would I do that
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qp_NSidtpws

click on the link above to set top dead center on the crank and then see if the cam gear is lined up correctly on the mark on the back cover of the cam gear cover.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I hate to ask this but if they both don't line what would be the next procedure
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Or do I keep spinning till they do
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

line up the crank at top dead center then if it is out then remove the belt from the top and move the gear in the direction where it needs to be lined up with the mark and reinstall the belt. then follow the video to set up the belt tension correctly!

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Thank you Wolfgang I will let you know it will probably be a couple of days
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Wolfgang sorry it took so long to get back to you my mark is on on the transmission I lined up my crank is lined up but I got the same codes not sure if this will be a silly question I used the transmission from the old engine which that is fine but when I had the trans out the torque converter came out now reinstalling not sure on this could it be possible installing the torque upside down to me that sounds kinda crazy
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 2 months ago.

ok do this line up the torque converter to top dead and then look the cam gear to make sure it is on the mark then look at the crank you will see a mark on the pulley . there is a v notch on the lower timing cover make sure it is lined up . the tq should only go in one way!!

let me know!!