Wolfgang
Wolfgang, VW Master Technician
Experience:  Senior VW Master Tech 15 yrs
19871424

Need VW expert to find a problem with an 06 jetta tdi with

Customer Question

Need VW expert to find a problem with an 06 jetta tdi with some sort of electo-mechanical power steering issue.
JA: When was the fluid last checked? Have you heard any whining noises while turning the wheel?
Customer: No fluid. Electo-mechanical.
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, fixing myself. Just paid to have the dual mass flywheel replaced. When I got my car back, I had a new steering problem.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes; no codes, no lights. Steering is fine until higher speeds. The higher the speed, the stiffer the steering.
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 24 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I am ready
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I work a terrible schedule also. What other information do you need? The VIN# ***** *****
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 23 days ago.

At low speeds and in parking lots the steering assist is normal?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I don't see any problems in parking lots and low speeds. After about 50 mph or so, it seem to get stiffer the faster the speed. I am usually always driving in a straight line at those speeds.

Have you noticed the front tires wearing poorly?

Do you get a vibration or tire noise at highway speeds?

Give me a guesstimate on the assist received at 55 + mph, it used to be 100%, what is it at now?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Tires wearing pretty good. No alignment issues that I am aware of. Doesn't pull to one side. Tires recently balanced, very little tire noise. I would say that at 60 mph and above there is no assist at all. I tend to drive with both hands on the steering wheel so that I can steer. Because it is stiff, it tends to be easy to over steer when the steering wheel is forced to move.

Follow these steps.

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/steeringangle.png

Report back on the results.

What now

1. You have asked a question.
  2. You have paid a deposit and received an info request and or answer(s).
  3. Now it is time to follow up if needed or rate my answer, hopefully 5 STAR EXCELLENT. Sometimes the rating fails, responding with (I am a pleased) will suffice.
  4. You are more than welcome to still follow up. I want you pleased with me and my answer(s).

Thanks for using Just Answer, and rating me so I am compensated, Chris

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
It will take a few days. Had to order Vag Com software and hardware to follow your instructions.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 21 days ago.

Thanks

Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 18 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I never said that I was not pleased with your help. What I said is that I had to purchase some software and hardware (which has not arrived yet) in which to follow the steps you recommended. I will get back to you to see if this in fact solved my problem. Thanks.

Thanks for the update. This post times out tomorrow if you were not aware.

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
What exactly happens if the post times out? Do we need to keep some sort of minimal exchange going to keep it from timing out?
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 17 days ago.

When the post times out. After I have helped 100 customers your post roles off of my list and I can no longer see it unless you and I reply every single day.

Rating prevents a post from timing out.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
I will keep you posted.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 16 days ago.

Best of luck.

Customer: replied 16 days ago.
Thanks. UPS could deliver today.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 15 days ago.

Okay

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Got my Vag Com hardware. Followed your instruction sheet. 9. Group 60: the first display field shows "adjustment", not "okay". The 2nd display field shows "okay". 10. group 7 1st display shows "Not Oper". Okay so where do I go from here?

Can you recalibrate the steering limit stop?

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
I don't know how to answer that question. Here is what I do know:. If I go through steps 13 through 18, I have power steering again at low speeds which is what I had all along. Never had a problem with a steering assist warning lamp.

With the engine running, center the steering wheel and hold it for 5 seconds. Turn the steering wheel completely to the left and hold it there for a second. Turn the steering wheel completely to the right and hold it there for a second. Center the steering wheel. Switch the engine and ignition OFF. Switch the ignition ON and wait 5 seconds. Let me know those results.

Customer: replied 15 days ago.
Those are the exact instructions I was referring to 13 through 18 in my last post. Please see last post.

I am out of ideas at this point. I will opt out and let another try to help. Please do not rate nor reply or the post will be locked to me. Best of Luck.

Expert:  Wolfgang replied 15 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

On your issue there is a very highly chance that the steering curve program has changed . The module thinks its a GTI than a bast jetta tdi. Since you hae stated that there is no codes , and performed the basic settings and still the same the vehicle needs to go to the VW dealer and a download of the steering chariteristics program to the steering gear. The factory scan tool at the dealer can only do that !!!

The cause why .... usually an electrical spike. to replace the flywheel the cradle with the steering gear is moved or dropped to make removing the transission much easier for access. so either at dissasembly or reassembly (power up) usually casues this issue!!

anything else?

if not.....

I try to be online 365 days a year.

I only earn a paycheck when a customer rates me Ok, Good, Excellent.

This rating is VERY IMPORTANT! Your rating compensates me on my time and my expertise on your issue!

A lot of the repair information and fixes are hard to come by!!

I HAVE DONE MY PART IN HELPING YOU AND I DO EXPECT THE SAME WITH A 5 STAR RATING!!!

So please rate me above!!!! Bonuses are also greatly appreciated!!!

If I have not addressed your original question to your liking yet, I hope you will reply and continue working with me, since your charged the full question value, regardless if you rate negative or not at all. If you rate me now, do not worry, you can still reply later to me.

Thanks

Wolfgang

Customer: replied 14 days ago.
I will take the car to the dealer as you suggested. I will then advise you as to the results.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 14 days ago.

ok please keep me in the loop!!

Customer: replied 13 days ago.
I will. It may take me a few days to get this auto in and out of the dealership, so hold on.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 13 days ago.

kinda figured it

Customer: replied 11 days ago.
The Dealer looked at the car and said that it had no electrical problems. I found this surprising given the earlier reported data fields. See attached pictures submitted as a result of earlier testing with my new Vag Com hardware/ software. The dealer surmises that mechanical damage has occurred to the rack, although none is visible to the eye.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 days ago.

so did they even try to load the map charateristic of the steering gear with the scan tool?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
If I remember what the guy said, he said that all of the adaptations were correct, that he attempted to re-flash the system (or something like that) but the equipment indicated all parameters were correct and nothing needed to be done. I am paraphrasing a bit here, but he definitely communicated to me that he investigated my electrical power steering concerns with VW equipment and all was well.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 days ago.

did the tech drive the car ans verified what you are describing?

Customer: replied 10 days ago.
he drove the car with the service writer and verified the results. He says that the problems exist even at low speeds, it is just not a noticeable because (he said) the computer deliberately backs off on assisting at higher speeds for safety.
Customer: replied 10 days ago.
I ordered a power rack. Should have it in by the end of the week. I will get back to you.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 10 days ago.

got it !! thanks for the update!!