peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

I have fuel gauge problem It would read 3/4 on the gauge

Customer Question

I have fuel gauge problem It would read 3/4 on the gauge when it was full. I R& R the vibrator now the gauge shows full with half a tank of gas do you have any suggestions?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: Thanks dave
JA: Has the vehicle turned into a gas hog? And how does it start -- same as usual?
Customer: no it seams to be reasonable and starts really good.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 1969 VW beetle convertible
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes I replaced the vibrator . the sending unit goods to be new.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no that's it.
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 25 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

From what you have described here this sounds like the common fault with the gauge assembly itself.This was a common component that failed and caused this issue.Now that you have a new fuel level sensor this is causing the faulty gauge to read even more off then before.The older model European vehicles were common for this fault here with the gauge needing replaced.I would check and make sure the wiring is all found to be o.k. from the sender to the gauge and if this is o.k. then the gauge usually requires replacement.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete