peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

Car won't recognize key, no internal lights and won't jump

Customer Question

car won't recognize key, no internal lights and won't jump off
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 22 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

When you say no internal lights is this the lights with the key on that are not coming on or interior courtesy lights?

Are any other electronics acting up as well here?

Let me know so we can continue,thanks Pete.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Nothing is registering. The lights on the inside, outside, & horn. Even the trunk release is not responding.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Its not doing anything. It's not even trying to crank.

O.k.,this sounds like a complete loss of power.This can be caused by a faulty battery (it may be the jumper cables are not good enough to jump off as some cables are weak) or that the battery has shorted or bad cell in it.This is the most common cause for this type of fault here.

Some of these models have major fuses that sit on top or near the battery attached in line with the battery positive cable.See if any of these are blown as well needing replaced.It would be a good idea to have the battery tested just to see if this is the cause.Usually a local part store can do this at no charge to you if you can bring the battery in to them.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete