Angel Martinez
Angel Martinez,
Experience:  Lead Technician at Tire Kingdom Auto Care
2902231

Car will not start i get a ticking sound car will start with

Customer Question

car will not start i get a ticking sound car will start with a jump i can turn the car off and it will start and than after an hour it will not start just get the ticking p0510 colse throttle position switch p0411 secondary air injection system incorrect flow p0422 catalyst efficency below threshold p0116 engine coolant temperature circuit range or performance problem
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: for some time from under the hood sounds like the starter i change the fan relay box under the battery it was brunt out
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 1999 vw jetta 2.0
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes i changed the some fuse that were blown i changed the radio fuse
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Angel Martinez replied 20 days ago.

Hello my name is Angel

Sounds to me like your battery is being drained while you're away from the vehicle and it should be off.

you can test this by disconnecting the negative battery cable. You will need a test light, and connect the clip to the negative battery cable and then put the tip of the test light on the negative battery terminal. the light will light up, because its just like connecting the battery, so all the computers in the vehicle will turn on, test them self, then shut down to stand by. so the test light will follow like this. when you connect it to the battery it will light up and stay lit for about 30 - 45 seconds. then get dimmer, then shut off.

if it does not do this and the light stays lit after 1 min or so, then some thing is pulling power, and you can pull fuses till the light turns off, but don't reconnect the fuse till done or the computer associated with that fuse will have to go through the tests again. but make sure you have a correct diagram to replace all fuses to there correct location and correct amperage rating.

when you pull the fuse that shuts the light off, then you must find out what item on that fused circuit is pulling power and replace it.

Please let me know if that helps.

Hello my name is Angel

Please let me know if that helps.

Expert:  Angel Martinez replied 17 days ago.
Did this information help you?if so Please rate my information.Thanks.