vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

It started to have a miss fire, running rough and the the

Customer Question

It started to have a miss fire, running rough and the the check engine light flashing. I have 2 bugs and this happen on one before and I followed the steps I did last time to find out which one was not firing correctly. The first one I pulled off the plug and started to see if it was the same or worse. It was worse, so that was not the one. Put the plug back on and went to start again, and it would not start, fire at all.
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: But looking more into the reason this happen, I noticed that there are two wires showing on the bottom of the plug. I am not sure if this touched the engine or arched. But I am sure the bare wires has something to do with it and has put the car in to safe mode or something. It does fire if I spray starting fluid in the intake, so it is not getting gas.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2002 beetle 1.8T
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes fixing it myself.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I have also disconnected the battery for 1 hour and no change. I went ahead and replace all spark plugs and coil packs as I am sure they needed to be. Question: how many sensors could be pop if the coil plug touched the engine block?I can't tell if the fuel pump turns on when door is opened or by key, so not 100% sure if it is running.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 23 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need a vin # to get the factory wiring diagrams to assist!!

thanks

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Vin is 3vwed21c92m447454
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 23 days ago.

is fuse 28 blown?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
I'm not able to get to the car right now, I was just involved in a car accident and now my last running car is not driveable to get to it. I will try and get to the car in the morning and check fuses.
So I just lost my other bug due to this accident.I will update when I can.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 23 days ago.

ok

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
I checked all fuses and all are good. I can't spend any more time on this right now, turns out that I am bleeding inside from the accident and need to have surgery. I will or have someone else get in touch at a later time to get this figured out.