gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I was sitting in my 2014 vw passat with the engine idling

Customer Question

i was sitting in my 2014 vw passat with the engine idling for about an hour and when i pulled off, my check engine light came on. it ran then cut off. i had to turn the key 3 times to get it to start. it then ran real rough then white smoke came out of the tail pipe and the emc light and skid ***** *****ghts came on. after sitting for about an hour idrove it about 1and a half miles home and only the check engine light stayed on. no smoke and it drove smoothly. i did not go over 30mph. is it safe to drive about 30 miles to a vw dealer?
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: stays on
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: just drove it onto my parking lot and parked it because it happened at about 8 o'clock last night.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Are you still reviewing my question? Its been more than 10 minutes.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Are you there?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I'm going to drive VW about 15 miles to dealer in about an hour. but Istill hane not gotten any reply back from you.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
what is taking so long?
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
I signed up thinking I could get an immediate reply before driving to the dealer.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
this service is not what it claims to be!!!
Customer: replied 24 days ago.
BS!
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 24 days ago.

Sorry, many of the experts don't get on until normal work hours-

As long as the light is not flashing, you aren't misfiring or doing anything that would cause damage to the catalyst. So you will be OK to drive to the dealer, which will be under warranty if you are under 3/36 for sure, or under 60k if it is a powertrain issue.