Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

Top fabric separared from rear window glass and theres a

Customer Question

Hi, top fabric separared from rear window glass and theres a 1.5" gap at top of glass. Can top be stretched down and window bonded? Thanks!
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2004 New Beetle
JA: Are you fixing your New Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing, looking to buy car
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No thanks
Category: VW
Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Glass is attached to black liner, and needs to be bonded back on to the top canvas. However the glass does not line up with the cutout in the canvas, it has slid down 2 inches, and the cutout in the canvas for the window has stretched upward. Does the top have to be disassembled to fix this? Thanks Scott(###) ###-####
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

I would try to find a shop who specialized in canvas repair. This sounds like it could be repaired. Otherwise another option would be to replace the top if you are looking for it to be in perfect shape when finished. Yes the top has so be taken apart to fix this properly. Tough to say without physically being able to look at it.

Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dan, I am buying the vehicle and can't take it to a repair shop, this is why I contacted you. I will repair this myself, and cost of a new top is too much. Have you bonded in a window like this before? It's on the internet. My question is, if it's bonded back in place, will it pull off because the top has shrunk, or will the bond hold? I can send a picture later today if it helps. Thanks, Scott
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

Yes send a picture thanks.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Hi Dan, please see attached photos. Thanks, Scott
Expert:  Dan replied 4 months ago.

You should be able to repair that. I am not sure that can be stretched back to original position. I mean you may not be able to get it perfect, but the bond should hold.