Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

Turns over but won't start, I haven't but the car is turning

Customer Question

Turns over but won't start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: I haven't but the car is turning over very rapidly it appears that there's plenty of juice ; This happened to me once at a tire dealer one of the workers said that it had something to do with the theft protection; after juggling a few wires by what he thought was the theft protection connectors the car started
JA: What is the make/model/year of your car?
Customer: 2002 VW Pasada with a V6 five-speed manual
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: So far I've just jiggle those same cables that the tire mechanic and jiggled and I've locked and unlocked my car about a dozen times to see if there is something related to that that might be affecting its ability to actually start
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: It's all I can think of
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 27 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet for the question fees you have already paid.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I can work on the problem with my VW at 6pm, CST tonight or a little later too. WIll that work? The car eventually started after about 20 minutes of jiggling the wires and connectors mounted to the passenger side firewall inside the engine compartment and locking and unlocking the car with the key remote. No idea if any of that affected me being able to finally start the car. The car runs and drives totally normal after it starts. I have it sitting in my garage at home now. I'm sure this inability to start problem will occur again and again until it will no longer start.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Also, once I get the car started, it might be a few days or even a couple of weeks before I have the inability to start issue with it again. It's very intermittent at this point.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 26 days ago.

When this happens is the theft light on solid or flashing with the key on and or while trying to start?

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I'll have to wait until the next time it doesn't start. It's starting right up when I try it now . where is the theft light? Is it one of the lights in the control panel on the dashboard?

the theft light is in the instrument cluster and tells you if the computer is correctly reading the key being used. If the system detects an issue it will prevent starting and flash the light when trying to start.

.

Thanks for letting me help you & for leaving me a ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~rating when ready. Rating results in the website paying me from the question fee you have already paid. Although I appreciate customers saying "Thank You" that alone does not result in me being compensated if you were pleased.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Does my issue stay open with you until I have the symptom again and contact you regarding the theft light? If the problem is intermittent is it most likely that the chip in my key is faulty? I have a second spare key that I can carry to see if it makes a difference. Or do I have to go to a dealer to get it tested more thoroughly to be sure?

The chip in the key has no moving parts and rarely is to blame. The transceiver that reads that key code is normally to blame. This post will stay open for 7 days unless rated then it stays open forever.

Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 23 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris