gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2002 vw cabrio that I've owned for 2 months and

Customer Question

I have a 2002 vw cabrio that I've owned for 2 months and replaced the ignition coil 4 times and had the ecm reprogrammed replaced all spark plugs and wires. It would start - drive fine - park - start then die- would give a little Gas then start again. Now it just died again while I was driving - just shut off - towed it to a mechanic who told me it was the coil - told him the last one that I had taken out for the same problem was in the trunk - he put it in and now it runs!?? What is going on here?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

Are your typical symptoms that it will die, and then you need to sit and wait until it cools down before you can start it again? And if you test it during this time there is no spark? I am more inclined to think that your crank speed sensor (hall sender in the distributor) is actually at fault here.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No I didn't have to wait to start it again after it died - just give it some gas. Because it would start with a little Gas I didn't test the spark.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
My husband says it is a 2001 not a 2002

Is your check engine light on when driving?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No the light wasn't coming on
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 27 days ago.

OK. I would start off removing the cap from the distributor, check the inside of the cap for any arcing marks, and make sure the spring-loaded center contact is in place inside there. Check the rotor for cracking, arcing marks, or a degredation of the arc surface on the tip of the rotor.

You may also need to check to see when your fuel filter was last replaced, or even remove the pump and check for particles inside the fuel tank. If the pickup screen on the fuel pump gets blocked by debris, the engine will die- but then the debris will fall off the screen and drift away, only to collect again once the pump starts running.