vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I was driving it yesterday & car just cut off on me, 2001

Customer Question

I was driving it yesterday & car just cut off on me
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2001 jetta
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes, i switch the throttle body the other day, so I switched the old one back in & it still didnt start
JA: Have you checked the battery, particularly the terminal connections? Are they corroded?
Customer: battery terminals are good
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: the car wants to start when i turn the switch on.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

ok let me get this correct does the engine crank and will not start? if so .... when you turn the key on does the check engine light come on in the dash?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the engine turns over but dont start. no check engine light dont turn on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
when it cut off on me the battery light came on
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i got fuel pressure
just dont know why it just cutt off on me while driving
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any ideas
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

well the check engine light not coming on when you turn on the ignition means that the ecu is not powering up so electrcal checks must be made to see why .

i do need a vin # to get the factory diagrams and you will need a digital volt meter

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Whats the relay 109 underneath the dash for?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
3VWSK69M21M097158
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

ok first thing to check is small fuse 10 blown 15amp and please measure the voltage at the fuse with the key on. let me know

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is the fuse on the driver side panel
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

yes correct!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Im not on the car right now im still in school. Will i still be able to message you later today
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

i will be on and off all day. just check out and let me know.

note if out easy checks come up with no resolution we will need to utilize the premium service to get the job done. note your deposit does not credit me yet for my time and knowledge!! so i'm do my end of the bargian so i do expect the same on your end with a 5 star rating of my service !!