Dan, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  Auto Technician
94707146

I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8T and the epc light comes on and off.

Customer Question

I have a 2004 Jetta 1.8T and the epc light comes on and off. My car will shut off while I am driving it at times. Once when I was exiting the freeway, but mostly if I'm idling in traffic. My mechanic said I'll need both CV axles soon. Are both situations related? Or does the CV axles have nothing to do with the epc code?
Category: VW
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Hello my name is***** am an ASE Master Technician and I am glad to help you with your question.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Most likely unrelated. EPC is a problem in the drive by wire system. Most likely a problem with the throttle body. You need to get all the codes scanned with a scan tool. Getting these codes is the first step to diagnosing this problem.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Please reply to this if you need more help and we can continue this conversation at no extra charge. This does not have to be my only answer. If you are satisfied with my service, please rate at the top of the screen. Rating does not close out your question. Remember, sometimes it is difficult to completely diagnose your vehicle without being there, but I will try to give you the best answer I can. Hoping to be giving you 5 star service.

Thanks

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Also, when the car shuts off, it takes numerous times to restart it again. Sometimes I have to start it in neutral.
Additionally, why is it sporadic?
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

When this happens, does it crank and not start or not turn over at all?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Does not turn over at all... Similar to a dead battery.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Do the interior lights and gauges still work when this happens?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the dashboard lights up like a Christmas tree.
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Took the volt meter to it and battery and altinator was fine.
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

I would look at replacing the starter for this problem. The starter may have a dead spot in the solenoid. That is why its does not happen all the time.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Could also be a park/neutral switch problem.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
the starter would shut the car off while driving if a solenoid was bad?
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
it could be the throttle body, a bad starter or park/neutral switch problem? And these could trigger the epc light? The shutting off of the engine while driving is obviously posing a problem...:)
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

You may have 2 separate problems going on here. Take this to any auto parts store and ask for a scan. They will scan your engine for free.

Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Let me know what codes you have and we will go from there. I will leave this open and I will be on and off tomorrow throughout the day.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Thank you very much. I'll see if I can get the codes pulled tomorrow... I might not be able to get it done until Monday.
I will let you know!
Expert:  Dan replied 3 months ago.

Ok that is fine. Your welcome.