Joshua Haynes
Joshua Haynes,
Experience:  Lead Technician/ Manager at Precision Tune Auto Care
93804480

VW Passat wagon 2002 - Right taillight does not light, and

Customer Question

Hi, VW Passat wagon 2002 - Right taillight does not light, and left brake light does not come on. I pulled the light assemblies out. and watched them as I applied break. The four lights, top and bottom on both light assemblies appear to work, because when I apply brakes the right top and bot***** *****ghts come on. But without brakes applied they are off. And on the left assembly the top light(brake light does not brighten when brakes applied). Bought two replacement bulbs, but have no idea what to do with them now
JA: Have you checked the bulbs? Have you checked the connection?
Customer: The 4 bulbs in question all light up, but under various conditions as I attempted to explain. I have not double checked all the connections as yet.
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, myself....thought it was just a light bulb replace issue. Here is problem. 1; Right tail light remains unlit when lights turned on. 2. When brakes are applied, the Right brake light comes on, but the Left brake light does not.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No really, I am willing to pay if i can get this fixed though, for sure.
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: ok
Category: VW
Expert:  Joshua Haynes replied 6 months ago.

hi, my name is ***** ***** I will assist you. It sounds like you have one of two things going on here: If you have replaced the bulbs then you need to verify that the correct ones were used. They should be what are called "dual-filament" bulbs and have two filaments inside (clearly visible). If they are in fact dual filament bulbs, then you have a problem with the connections for the bulbs. Look very closely at the connectors for each bulb and if there are any burn marks, corrosion or looseness it needs to be repaired or cleaned before it will work.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Will check the connections......bulbs do have dual filaments..

Great, good luck and let me know what you find!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I played with the bulbs tightening/untightening and removing looking at contacts. Now I have brake lights lighting up on both sides - one of the 4 bulbs on each side brightens. All 4 (top and bottom) light when brakes are applied - Two double brighten.
I am unable to pull out one bulb.
It is on the passenger side (which does not have tail lights come on when lights are turned on) - But it does light up when breaks are applied (but not super bright light like the other light on that side does)
Not sure how to get that one bulb out - tried for 10 minutes twisting and then pulling it
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got difficult bulb to come out and replaced it.
Brake lights come on on both sides (at least one of the 4 lights on both sides).
When brakes applied all 4 lights on both sides come on.
When lights are turned on, brakes NOT applied, tail lights only come on on driver side)
So problem is now just that I have no tail lights on passenger side when lights are turned on.

That's great news! I'm sorry I can't take a call now but I am happy to continue to help you here.

Were you able to find any spots that were corroded or burnt?

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
There was no phone call returned and yet I was charged - I ended up taking my car to the VW dealer where i was charged $200 for repairs to the lights. I would like a refund. According to what this says, I had to rate you before being charged. I would like a refund as you said "That's great news! I'm sorry I can't take a call now....:"