vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

Rear windowcracked defrost popped and cracked the window in

Customer Question

rear windowcracked defrost popped and cracked the window in my convertible and the montor on the convertible with out
JA: Any noises from the window when you hit the switch?
Customer: none
JA: What year is your Convertible?
Customer: 2004
JA: Are you fixing your Convertible yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think the altenator is about to go out. the air conditior keeps gone up and down
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Can you outline your question a little better, this is what I got.

1. rear windowcracked defrost popped and cracked the window in my convertible and the montor on the convertible with out
  2. I think the altenator is about to go out. the air conditior keeps gone up and down

I know it is a 2004 but I do not know the make and model vehicle.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
1. I heard a pop, looked up and the rear window was totally cracked. I had just turned off the rear defrost. The defrost button light is white.
2. the air conditioner keeps going up and down, I am wondering if this means I need to replace my alternator
3. the convertible top will not work anymore. you turn the key push the button and nothing. I'm thinking the motor went out.
2004 VW Beetle convertible

#2 is the blower speed what is going up and down? Is it changing blower speed or just barely changing? While driving at night do the headlights get brighter/dimmer?

#1 Do you own a volt meter? Are you planning to replace the glass yourself?

#3 I am not good at diagnosing convertible top issues not in person but I can offer what I feel like could be wrong.