Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

I have a 99 beetle TDI. The whole brake system has been

Customer Question

I have a 99 beetle TDI. The whole brake system has been replaced trying to find out my issue.
Originally my car didnt come with a brake booster heat shield (does not protect the master cyl). But since than VW has updated some part numbers including the booster on my car. They now list a heat shield for it and say to use it. The issue im having is when the car sits once its warmed up (Even if I idle from cold brake fluid) the brakes will have slight drag. Lifting the pedal a non measurable amount will clear this up. Is it possible that engine/turbo heat on a stock car can cause the booster to apply the brakes slightly? When its cool outside and I am moving along for a little bit the brakes are nice and smooth. If I start the car from cold they are nice and smooth until the engine and all heats up some. Master cylinder has been replaced twice. First one was a cardone reman, did this. Second one is a FTE (i believe) branded german oem new unit.
Any ideas on this with the heat shield? All I can find out online is some people saying about a booster heat shield on the nissan 240sx with turbo. I didnt add turbos to my car as it came with them so I dont think that applys any.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
I work a ton and would go back and forth on this for a little bit im sure. Can you give me anything to look into and get back with you though? I will have a little time in a couple of hours.Basically previously I had my original booster and master. Ive sinced replaced them because the master seal blew out and killed the booster.Booster I previously had was I believe a PN ending in 105m. Booster that replaced it was a 1J1614106E as per VW saying its the newer better part. Master I had used at the time was a cardone reman, which ive since replaced with a 1J1614019 made by FTE. Making sure that wasnt the issue. Ive also replaced all 6 soft hoses, rear, center, front. On the brakes. Along with 3 new calipers, pads,rotors, etc. Fluid (pensosin super dot4) has been replaced a couple times over the last year hoping to fix it. All hard lines are in good shape without damage. Issue happens with e-brake cables connected or not, with them fully disengaged at the stops.When I start up the car after its cold the brakes work and feel properly in the pedal. If I sit in traffic they slowly get harder and quicker to engage. If I go down the street at 50mph in 4th gear the engine is producing enough heat to keep it this way for a little bit but if I keep moving things cool off enough to work better and have a better pedal feel.When they do get hot if i pull the pedal up with my foot which is basicly a unmeasurable amount they will go back to where they should be on a properly working car (We have a 2001 jetta tdi to compare things too with properly working brakes). The brakes themselves do not have to be very hot to cause this so it seems to be related to the master/booster and maybe the pedal assembly. I have also replaced the brake switch and adjusted it properly to make sure this isnt of issue.Let me know what other information you want to maybe get started on this one. Hopefully you can help me out.And just so you know with us both being busy if it takes a little time i wont be mad at you for it. We all work and as long as I get this figured out at the end thats the main goal.

When the brakes start applying from heat is it all 4 brakes or?

When the brakes start applying from heat if you loosen the bolts from the master to booster, does this release the calipers?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
it is all 4 brakes and a very minimal amount at that. Sadly I cant test the second part as if I open the hood for about 1 minute with the car off the go right back to where they should be. You knowing VW's understand that its not like you can just reach in and get to the master bolts on the new beetle.Its like something heats up in the booster and causes the pin to move forward as if the pedal is being pressed but the pedal itself isnt changing position. I have a general idea of how the booster works but not what heat can effect. VW PN 1J1612163 is something ive found that never came on the cars from the factory but they list it for my car. Havent been able to find out any information on this part as to why it was added at a later date. All I see if that the R32 had it but that motor in the golf I could understand why.

After driving and experiencing this issue do you have a temp gun to see the temp on the master and booster?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Will dig up my laser temp gun and get back with you. It's a harbor freight but should be close enough.

You can test it against something inside the house that is room temp.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
160 on the booster. 130ish on the master.
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Its a raytec laser sensor so I'd say it's within a couple degrees f

At those temps I just do not see it able to apply the brakes from heat. I believe the focus needs to be on the pedal, something not allowing it to easily return to fully retracted like a worn bushing at the hinge area.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Would you happen to have any diagrams on the pedals? I've looked into everything down there and see nothing. I just find it very odd how even just opening the hood for a minute with the car off the brakes release. Sitting stopped with the car on with my foot off the brakes it doesn't release, only gets worse.

Sorry I do not have any diagrams in my repair guides of the pedal. I can opt out and let another try if you want.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Tomorrow I will double check everything in the pedals and let you know if I find anything or if we will let someone else try.

Sounds good.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Im not seeing anything out of place. Do you know if there is any pedal mount position adjustments I may not be able to see from the bottom but feel? If not maybe you can opt out for me and see if anyone else has any ideas?

Opting out now at your request