Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2006 Diesel Jetta with 180k miles. normal mnt done no

Customer Question

2006 Diesel Jetta with 180k miles. normal mnt done no crashes or anything. It is automatic. About a week ago when I would put it into gear reverse or forward and idle, like at a light, it the motor noise got much louder thumping etc. Car did not vibrate. If I put it into neutral the noise went away. I have had a transmission specialist look at it as well as another body shop I know very well. Neither could find out what it is .
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 8 months ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
Customer: replied 8 months ago.
free tomorrow after 10am until 11:45, then 1-2pm and after 8:15

What is the idle speed in gear when stopped and its rattling?

Has the vehicle been on a rack and this duplicated so it can be listened to from underneath?

Customer: replied 8 months ago.
it only stops the noise when I put it into neutral. i don't hear the noise after 45mph but the by that speed i'm on a freeway going 80 very soon. In gear and low speeds or idle is when it is loudest

My suggestion is to get it on a rack so you can listen from under the vehicle. Since the noise is gone after 45 mph, I do not suspect a trans issue. I am leaning most towards an exhaust system or component rattling from internal damage or a heat shield or a worn engine or trans mount. Listening to the source with a stethoscope from under the vehicle will provide the best approach for diagnosing this.

Prior to completing the mandatory rating at the top of your screen. Let me know if I have not yet provided you with ~5 STAR EXCELLENT~service. Reply and let me know in more detail what you need to be pleased with my help.

Thanks Chris

Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 7 months ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris