Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

2003 Beetle. running good. backed it into the garage. sat

Customer Question

2003 Beetle. running good. backed it into the garage. sat for a week or two. went to drive it and it starts but dies shortly after. reading all the forums I have replaced the crank sensor and all the battery cable tricks. still doing the same. Thanks Paul
JA: Does the vehicle stall at low speeds? Does it sputter?
Customer: runs for only a few seconds, can not drive.
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: yes. crank sensor
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: not at this time. Thanks
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you Paul

1- is there a small red led security light on the dash flashing ?

2- the start up and dies in few seconds tells me the alarm is triggered ?

3- these models had an issue with instrument cluster , that is where the key data for the car is stored and a common problem is replacing the cluster because it can not read the key and the car think somebody stealing it .It will require new cluster around $600 at dealer, you can buy a used one but you will still need to program it at dealer ,some website might offer rebuild on same unit with out programming comes preprogramed .

a proper diagnostic scan using a vw scanner or equivalent will be needed to check the key and the cluster for fault codes to confirm

4- Do you have one or 2 keys for it , did you try the second key, just to be sure it is not a key issue

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not see a red light on. and yes i did try the second key. can you tell me how this alarm works?

hey paul

sorry to hear about the problem you are having with car

I sent a pictures of all the componenst in the system ,the system is pretty complicated, it runs with power lock and light system etc..

so scanning is needed to know what failed , it could be as simple as a hood switch or trunk switch or the module or the cluster

I would tell you do the battery disconnect and it did not work , usually it does if it was a glitch and reset the module.

The Anti Theft system includes the Central Control Module mounted under the instrument panel near the steering column, and two Door Control Modules mounted with the power window motors. The Central Control Module and the Door Control Modules communicate with each other using a Controller Area Network bus (CAN-bus). Vehicles not equipped with power windows use a different Control Module. The Central Control Module controls the following: - Interior Light Control. - Anti-theft Warning system. - Radio-frequency Remote Control for Central Locking. - Electrical system interface. The Door Control Modules control the following: - Central Locking. - Power windows. - Power Mirror Adjustments.

Anti theft relay center

Relay location on the thirteen position auxiliary relay panel, above relay panel: 1 - Alarm System Light Flasher Relay (404) 2 - Alarm System Light Flasher Relay (200) 3 - Back-up Light Relay (53) 3 - Lock Relay for Starter (Theft Warning System) (185) 4 - Lock Relay for Starter (Clutch pedal Switch) (53) 7 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173) 8 - Daytime Running Lights Change-over Relay (173) 8 - Heated Exterior Mirror Relay (53) 9 - Alarm Horn Relay (53) 10 - Glow Plug Relay (180) 10 - Third Speed Coolant Fan Control (FC) Relay (100)* 11 - Park/Neutral Position (PNP) Relay (126) (175) 12 - Power Supply (Terminal 30, B+) Relay (109)

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue

If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Chad, I had the headliner out prier to this problem, do you think something happened with the interior lights?

did the problem started happening afterwards would you say ?

and yes if we have a pinched wire or any connector you unplugged has a broken pin

i would go back and recheck my work

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
we drove the several days after the headliner was put in. would the same be effected by the vanity mirrors having a problem with there lights. the car will run if i put my foot on the gas pedal and keep the rpms up almost like the pedal and the throttle body are not working together.

ok well that changes things you said earlier it runs few seconds and die and you can t drive it ?

if you can keep it running rev it up , then yes Throttle body or it lost it Throttle relearn perimeters ?

please be accurate with your description of the problem and what the car doing now so i can help you correctly

Thanks

Chad

alarm system and cluster will not be the issue if you can keep it running with gas rev it up and also drive it ?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no i cant drive it. it takes about 3 or 4 thousand rpm to stay running also it is a manual trans

1- I will have the fuel pump pressure checked ,These are the fuel specs on your car

FUEL PRESSURE Vacuum Connected ....................................................... 2.5 bar Vacuum Disconnected .................................................... 3.0 bar Residual Pressure ...................................................... 2.0 bar

2- I will check the mass air flow sensor and get some mass air flow cleaner and check my air filter for being clogged ?

3- the plugs needs checking

if you need to rev it up that much , means a weak fuel pump or a weak spark from plugs or coils .

the cluster and alarm are not the issue here .

I would suggest a diagnostic scan to know what we have and we are not guessing and throwing parts at it will be suggestion

at this time

Please let me know if you need anything else on it

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation. So if you get some faults codes just come back here and post them and i can help you further

Thank You

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
is there a way for me to do this scan at home?

you will need a diagnostic scanner

they have them from $100 to $5000, depends what capability you need in it .

usualy the $500 range will be more for home use and has good capability

if it can make it to advance auto or auto zone they will scan for free for you and print out the fault codes but you need the car there .

there will be OBDII plug in the car on the side of the steering driver side bottom left that you plug it in there and read the fault codes

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks Chad

You are very welcome Paul

Good luck

Just let me know if you need anything else

Chad

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hi Chad. the car is still not running. I will not rate you until it is fixed. you personally did your best but still no closer than when i started the conversation with you. i will keep you posted.

hey paul how are you

I totally i understand on the rating .

I appreciate the comment, i did try my best :)

I m glad you replied back , i m actually going be off for 3 weeks so I will opt out of the question so you want be waiting on me and another expert will pick up your question and help you on it .

just don't reply back to me so it want lock the question back to me and the other experts want see it to pick it up to help you just wait and one will get it.

good luck .

Chad