gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

Looking for the fuse that controls right side tail light

looking for the fuse that controls right side tail light assembly located in the trunk lid of a 2012 vw jetta se 2.5.

Hi Im David,, allow me a moment to look up that information for you.

sorry cant find that information. i will opt out and let another tech help.

can I have your VIN?

Did you cycle the key off and on again? Do you have a bulb warning light in the dash?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The bulb warning light is on. How do you cycle the key off and on again? Will that make the lights start working? Can't give you vin # until later.

Turn the ignition off and then on again? If you have the ignition on and it sees an open circuit for the bulb, it will shut off that circuit- so even if you replace the bulb, it will not power that circuit until you turn the key back off and back on again, at which point it checks the resistance of the circuit and powers it if everything is ok.

There isn't one fuse that controls that whole thing- just the headlights are individually fused.

You may want to check the brown wire in that connector, and see if it has good continuity to ground. The ground point is just behind the right wheel well, behind the trunk trim.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Vin# *****
FYI. There are 3 tail lights out. All same size bulb, 2 in the trunk lid and 1 in the rear fender. The reverse light in the trunk lid assembly still works.

OK- the reverse and the tail lights share a ground point, so that eliminates that.

Check the following fuses in the fuse panel inside the car, end of the dash- the fuse locations will be imprinted into the plastic of the fuse box, it's small but visible-

1, 3, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 22, 23, 35, 36

check in the fuse box under the hood-

fuses 10, 19, 20, 25, 28, 29, 30

and on the front of that same fuse box ( i doubt any of these are blown as they are main fuses)

fuse 1 and 4

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I'll get on checking the fuses on Sunday and let u know what I find out. Thx
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I've checked all the fuses you suggested with no luck.

Have you removed the bulb holder from the rear and made sure the connector does not have any corrosion or oxidation? Maybe try plugging and unplugging a few times to clean it up and get a good contact?

You may need to try a "capacitive discharge" to reset the modules, disconnect the battery terminals and hold the two cables touching each other (don't worry, there will be no sparks with the battery disconnected) for about a minute. This will reset modules. If this doesn't work, and you don't have corrosion back there at the connections, then I would either suspect wiring (less likely, since it is multiple wires, though I would check just in case) or it is the module itself.

gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience: VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
FYI. After all the things you suggested and I tried, capacitive discharge fixed the problem. thx
Yeah, it's one of the things the VW Tech Helpline suggests when you have a "weird" issue. It's like shutting off a computer and rebooting when it starts locking up! Good to hear it was a free fix, I've had to replace the Central Electrics module sometimes when it cuts out a circuit like that and won't reset