gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Looking for the fuse that controls right side tail light

Customer Question

looking for the fuse that controls right side tail light assembly located in the trunk lid of a 2012 vw jetta se 2.5.
Submitted: 4 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  david craig replied 4 days ago.

Hi Im David,, allow me a moment to look up that information for you.

sorry cant find that information. i will opt out and let another tech help.

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 days ago.

can I have your VIN?

Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 days ago.

Did you cycle the key off and on again? Do you have a bulb warning light in the dash?

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
The bulb warning light is on. How do you cycle the key off and on again? Will that make the lights start working? Can't give you vin # until later.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 3 days ago.

Turn the ignition off and then on again? If you have the ignition on and it sees an open circuit for the bulb, it will shut off that circuit- so even if you replace the bulb, it will not power that circuit until you turn the key back off and back on again, at which point it checks the resistance of the circuit and powers it if everything is ok.

There isn't one fuse that controls that whole thing- just the headlights are individually fused.

You may want to check the brown wire in that connector, and see if it has good continuity to ground. The ground point is just behind the right wheel well, behind the trunk trim.

Customer: replied 2 day ago.
Vin# *****
FYI. There are 3 tail lights out. All same size bulb, 2 in the trunk lid and 1 in the rear fender. The reverse light in the trunk lid assembly still works.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 2 day ago.

OK- the reverse and the tail lights share a ground point, so that eliminates that.

Check the following fuses in the fuse panel inside the car, end of the dash- the fuse locations will be imprinted into the plastic of the fuse box, it's small but visible-

1, 3, 9, 13, 14, 15, 16, 20, 22, 23, 35, 36

check in the fuse box under the hood-

fuses 10, 19, 20, 25, 28, 29, 30

and on the front of that same fuse box ( i doubt any of these are blown as they are main fuses)

fuse 1 and 4

Customer: replied 7 hours ago.
I'll get on checking the fuses on Sunday and let u know what I find out. Thx