Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

I'm afraid it's dead. Went to start it this morning and

Customer Question

I'm afraid it's dead. Went to start it this morning and every light on the display began blinking erratically, then we lost all power. Now there is nothing. Like there is zero power from the battery. No open door chimes, no display lights... nothing.
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Consistent. After the initial blinking of every single error light, it went completely dead.
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2013 Tiguan
JA: Are you fixing your Tiguan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Nothing yet. After work I planned to look for loose wiring, check battery connections. The weird error light flashing made me think it is an electrical or computer issue
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes. the tire monitor light and error message that the tire monitor was not available flashed earlier in the week.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

1- check fro 12 volts on the battery, it sounds battery completely dead

2- take it out have it charged and reconnect & see if you get everything back?

3- after that check that the alternator charging 14 volts with car running

4- you want to know did the battery went dead and just need another one , or alternator not charging it or you left something on could it be ?

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I didn't leave anything on to drain the battery. Drove it with no problems about 5 minutes prior to this issue. When I attempted to start the car again (after being turned off for 5 minutes), every single light on the display flickered very erratically, then all went dead. I'll obviously check the battery but I have a feeling this will require more than a jump.Earlier in the week there was a similar flash of multiple lights, and received an error message that the tire monitor "was not available." Could this be some kind of sensor problem? Or maybe electrical/wiring issue?

ok ,well the proper procedure will be charge the battery and hook it up to a vw scanner or equivalent to retrieve fault codes

there is issue with clusters and BCM ( body control module ) but with out a scan will be guessing

get me some fault codes and post them back here and i can help you further

Please let me know

Thank You

Chad Farhat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok

A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted

If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue

Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.

you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue

(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)

Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician