Chad Farhat
Chad Farhat, ASE Certified Technician A6 - Electrical / Electronic systems A7 Heating / Air conditioning systems
Experience:  Owner at Carolina Auto Service & Sales , 20 years Experience in Foreign& Domestic vehicles
45790705

I have a 2003 VW Jetta VR6. I can't put my car into gear

Customer Question

Hello, My name is John. I have a 2003 VW Jetta VR6. I can't put my car into gear (manual transmission) when it is running. the clutch peddle feels different. When the car is turned off, it shifts normally. I recently put new brakes pads and rotters on and bled them correctly. I read that the slave cylinder would need to be bled as well, since they run together off the master break cylinder. I did that since i could put the car into any gear. Now my clutch peddle is just says to the floor. Any Ideas whats going on?
JA: Has the clutch been slipping? Are you having any trouble shifting?
Customer: The clutch has been working normal. I know since its a 2003, There's your normal wear and tear. My son sad he was driving and everything was fine, and all of a sudden it wouldn't go in to any gear.
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am, I've only tried bleeding the slave cylinder.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, i think that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chad Farhat replied 1 month ago.

Hi, I'm Chad. Welcome to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question and I will be posting your reply ASAP.

hey how are you

I m sorry

You will need a special tool to bleed ,you want be able to create the pressuer necessary to bleed with out the machine

you can try few times manually, sometime we get lucky, but this model is tough to bleed

Clutch system, bleeding Special tools and equipment

^ VAS5234 brake filler and bleeder unit for brakes Brake fluid specification: Note: Prefilling system is not necessary! ^ Connect VAS 5234 brake filler and bleeder unit. ^ To bleed system use bleed hose V.A.G 1238/B3 -670 mm long, if necessary. ^ Connect bleed hose to brake bleeding appliance collector bottle.

^ Connect bleed hose -A- to bleeder -arrow- and open bleeder valve. ^ Pressurize system to 2 bar ^ Open bleeder valve ^ Bleed off about 100 cm3 brake fluid. ^ Rapidly operate pedal from stop to stop 10 to 15 times. ^ Bleed off an additional 50 cm3 brake fluid. ^ Close bleeder valve. ^ Depress clutch pedal several times after completion of bleeding process.

Clutch master removal

^ Remove intake hose -1-, connector -2- and hose -3- from Mass Air Flow Sensor. ^ Remove complete air cleaner housing, to do this, unscrew bolts -4- and - 5 - ^ Disconnect supply hose -A- to brake fluid reservoir and seal it.

^ Remove clip -B-, which secures line/hose to clutch master cylinder. ^ Separate line/hose assembly -C- from master cylinder and seal it. ^ Remove covers/lower driver's side. ^ Turn clutch pedal switch 45° to the left and pull out from support.

^ Separate master cylinder operating rod from clutch pedal as follows: ^ Pull clutch pedal lightly toward passenger compartment. ^ Press both sides of mounting inward using pliers T10005 (arrows).

^ Remove entire clutch pedal support as follows: ^ Remove connecting plate -A- first (arrows -1-). ^ Remove securing nuts (arrows -2-) for support -B-. ^ Take off mounting bracket.

^ Turn stop -A- of clutch pedal in direction of arrow and remove.

^ Push master cylinder first in direction of arrow -1- onto stop. It must not be covered in upper area by over center spring mounting (arrow -2-). ^ Swing it in direction of arrow -3- out of mounting bracket.

Please let me know if you need anything else on it, just reply back and we will continue
If you are good, Please Kindly Rate Me.
A 5 Star Rating is much Apreciatted
If you feel I have not been helpful Please DO NOT RATE ME BAD OR POOR (1 or 2 stars) ,You can always ask me again or I can opt out of your question & open it for another expert ,that will provide you with more or better assistance on this issue
Please keep in mind that when you rate me , it does not end our conversation.
you can always come back to this conversation and ask me any follow up question you may have on this issue
(you can copy this link page & paste it in your browser when ready and it will open up our conversation again)
Thank You
Chad Farhat
ASE Certfied Technician