vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

I have a 2005 VW touareg Vin WVGZG77L65D081271. The tailgate

Customer Question

Hi, I have a 2005 VW touareg Vin WVGZG77L65D081271. The tailgate will not open from the key fob interior switch or hatch switch, has to be opened manually. Replaced the actuator and hatch switch part #'s 7L6-827-425-A 1J5-962-104-B. I have checked fuses SC14 SC31 SB15 SB53 all checked out okay. I'm at a loss as to why it won't open. Also the glass does not open. It does however automatically lock the hatch when closed.
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i need some more information.

• did you just purchase the vehicle ?
  • when you use the remote does the lights flash?
  • do you expect the hatch and the glass to open and pop up ? (key question)

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
I'm an auto tech repairing the vehicle for sale with 2 years hands on experience but no access to all data or other programs to give detailed diagrams.The lights flash when you hold the middle tailgate release.I expect the tailgate to open when any of the switches to open it are used.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 days ago.

the operation of the hatch is this .

when the remote is used or the switch on the door it is only a trigger signal where the comfort module recognizes an input that the rear hatch or glass will be used. So with that being said it does not auto open at all . either the glass switch or the hatch switch must be triggered by hand to engage the release motor.

Do you have a VAG COM or VCDS scan tool ?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
No I do not have access to either scan tool. And pressing the switches on the hatch by hand do not release the hatch allowing it to be pulled open same for the glass.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 days ago.

do you have the interior panel off of the hatch?

Customer: replied 9 days ago.
the panel is off. And has just stopped locking the hatch down when closed.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 9 days ago.

so this has the auto drawdown.

does the front dash indicator show either the glass and or hatch being still open?

say if you disconnect the glass switch connector and then at the remote use the button and then at the switch connector jump the 2 terminals does the glass release?