vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

On my 2012 routan van, when the driver seat is moved forward

Customer Question

on my 2012 routan van, when the driver seat is moved forward for my wife to drive the wipers, instrument warning light go of and on. when the seat is moved way back it stops. Checked wires under seat but don't see and loose connections or frayed wires. Any idea what the problem is ? Jay Jwzak
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Do you know if there is power to the wiper motor?
Customer: there is power to wiper motor and the switch works for on off and intermittent operation
JA: Are you fixing your Routan yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes I would like to fix myself but really don't see what is causing the proble. I disconnected the battery to reset the computer and repositioned the wires under the seat but to no awail
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes the problem occurs when the driver seat is more than half way forward but stops when positioned fur ther back
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I do need some more information.

• i do need a vin # of the vehicle to pull up the factory repair information to assist.

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I,m waiting for a response
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

i have requested a vin # so i can get the factory information and wiring diagrams for the vehicle please

thanks

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I emailed the vin number yesterday.....repeated below
2c4rvabg8cr355131
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

OK THANKS FOR THE INFO.

IS THERE ANY POSSIBILITY TO MOVE THE SEAT TO THE POSITION TILL THE WEIRD ACTIVITY ACTS UP THEN UNPLUG ALL CONNECTORS FROM THE MAIN LOOM TO THE SEAT TO SEE IF THE ACTIVITY STOPS?

THANKS

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Wolfgang,
Thank you for your response. Following your suggestion I removed the leads under the seat one at a time and checked if the problem stopped. I didn't,t try this before because I could not get the lead locks open. Tried again and was successful. There are two leads which connect into the seat bottom and are marked #1 and #2. With lead #1 disconnected the problem quit even with the seat positioned all the way forward. With the lead disconnected the seal fwd and back worked, the Lombard pump worked and th e seat back motor worked also. I also started the car ok. Question can you tell me what the lead #1 is used for. Then I will be able to determine if a wire in the connected is shorted or crossed or there is a faulty component
Jay jezak
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

can you provide a picture of the connector and location for me to assist?

thanks