Tim's Auto Repair
Tim's Auto Repair, mechanic
Experience:  Have owned a repair shop for 25 yrs.
14541291

Shifter cable broke, bought a new one can't get cable

Customer Question

Shifter cable broke, bought a new one can't get cable unhooked at shifter end. It's the forward and back cable.
JA: Does the vehicle have a fuse that enables or disables the shifter?
Customer: No, it's a 5 speed 98 Beetle
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, I've removed plastic cover around shifter, removed all nuts holding shifter mechanism down. Removed exhaust heat shield, and dropped exhaust.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim's Auto Repair replied 3 months ago.

Hi, My name is ***** ***** for the delay.
I will do my best to assist you.

PLEASE COPY AND PASTE the link below to your browser, I have uploaded more info on this there please copy and paste the link below to your main browser[INTERNET EXPLORER or FIREFOX]

.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/5qytilfxfukyeg1/1018-vw-5%20Speed%20Manual%2002J.doc?dl=0

.

if the link doesn’t work that way, try it this way

thanks

.

www.dropbox.com/s/5qytilfxfukyeg1/1018-vw-5%20Speed%20Manual%2002J.doc?dl=0

.

If you are satisfied with my answer, Please Rate my answer by clicking the rating button so I can get credit for my work. I’m not always going to be giving you good news, so please don't let this stand in the way of you accepting my answer. .it does not cost you more money and we will still be able to communicate, ,.please understand, i can not see, hear or touch the vehicle and only know what you tell me. Bonuses and positive feedback are appreciated.. if you are not satisfied with my answer, please do not leave bad feed back ,i will gladly opt out and let another expert handle the question. .if i have sent any diagrams, please print them. .sometimes you may need to right click the image [,then save picture as]to save it to your computer so you can open it with your picture program...Please ask if you need more help

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I'm having trouble getting to the pin on #24 . Do I push the assembly down?

it just pops off of 24

24 is a rubber bushing

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I can't get to it, I can't get the shift assembly to go down or up, to allow access to the pin.

try disconnecting it from the transmission first so it may give you play

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
That end is the broken end, already removed the e clips on both cables. Should I push the whole shift assembly down by the exhaust pipe, and work on it from below?

now that i dont know,,if it is broken you will need to get it out any way you can,,sense you are going to be replacing it,,cut it out with a hacksaw if you must,do what ever it takes..you will be replacing anyways

thanks