Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

2012 jetaa tdi intermetite starts. cranks over fine. glow

Customer Question

2012 jetaa tdi intermetite starts . cranks over fine. glow plug light is out. seems to have good fuel pressure. what can cause this /
JA: How many miles are on the vehicle? And when was it last serviced?
Customer: 108ish service as far as i can tell was done on time by volkswagen dealer.
JA: What is the model of your '12 VW?
Customer: jetta TDI premium
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: YES and no on the fixing. I've replaced the pick up pump purged the fuel system check the main pump ran sea foam though it. took it to two different mechcanic. first guy said the computer needed re-flashed /the second guy sid for $6500 he'd re-place every wire in the whole car. front to back I called bulls@$t on that one .
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: it will start with starting fluid and runs fine once its going power out of this world hits 100 plus without any problems. once its warm it will start every time. oh and its push button start if that makes any differance. it was wrecked. don't know how much more info he will need?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • I can help with this question.
  • Reply and let me know when your able to work on this concern.
  • If you heat the car in a garage or with a heater, particularly the engine, will it start flawless then? If so then we just need to diagnose the fuel system, injectors, and glow plugs.

Hello again Chris here,

• Sorry you were not pleased with my help.
  • What would you like to do regarding your question now.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Any ideals what is going on with this jetta?

Can you respond to the comment I left on the 20th? If you heat the car in a garage or with a heater, particularly the engine, will it start flawless then? If so then we just need to diagnose the fuel system, injectors, and glow plugs.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Chris honestly I can not say. It seems like heat has very little to do with it. As you know pennsyvania was hot this summer so I thought the same thing. Littered the hood so the sun hit the motor for hours no go. The next dy it started.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Last week it was starting ok. So I thought I'll take it to work temps around 70ish day time 55 at night ran fine there no starting fluid needed going home a 3 am that was a different story. I be heard everything from faulty drivers side door wiring? Makes no sense to me since the door looks and windows work fine. Another mechcanic wanted to retire the whole car from front to back really made no sense. Also fuel shut off vavle? Possible but I could not see it on the injector pump. Also cold start vavle. A volkswagen dealer told me it doesn't have one. Which also makes little sense to me because what enriches the fuel when it's cold?

Do you have a scan tool to check for codes and monitor injector pressure actual and desired?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I did have it scammed for codes. They were everywhere. I think 37 codes most were about the immobilizer. The fuel pressure I have not had checked. I did replace the pick up pump thinking that may be an issuse but no hope there.

Sorry but I do not believe I can help diagnose 37 codes over the internet. I will remove myself from the this post and opt out to let another try.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you anyway