peterpete190
peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.
14928985

2003 passat wagon. Trunk lid does not open manually or by

Customer Question

2003 passat wagon. Trunk lid does not open manually or by means of remote switch. Will removing faulty latch activat car alarm ?
JA: Have you tried silicone spray or WD-40?
Customer: No....sprayed where ?
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes, and nothing....oops, strike that. Fuses are ok.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: 150k on odometer. Excellent service record startin 2006
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 7 months ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

This does sound like the latch itself is faulty if it will not open electronically or manually and can be common needing replaced.The alarm may not go off if the vehicle is unlocked when you replace the latch assembly.Even if it did usually you can use the remote or interior lock/unlock buttons to turn it off.

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete...other research led me to believe that it might be the latch. However, I am not able to access it because I cannot figure out how to remove interior panel of the hatch. I have removed the two obvious screws (in grab handles) but panel seems to be attached along the top and I do not want to force it for fear of cracking it...(clips ?) .am I on the right track ? have thrown a little weight into it but trying to finesse it...thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete other research has led me to believe it is the latch....however, I am unable to access the latch because I cannot remove interior panel of hatch....I have removed the two obvious screws located in grab handles but panel still refuses to break free...are there other hidden screws or is it simply a matter of forcing the panel upward by brute strength ? thank you

I apologize for the delay.

Below is the information I have located on removing the panel.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/44c8d89l1v1yuz8/p-10-18.gif?dl=0

1 - Clip
- 4x

2 - Upper trim
- Remove lower trim - 7 -.
- Unclip upper trim - 2 - first at sides out of clips - 3 -, then unclip at upper area.
- Before installing trim, check clips - 1 -, replace if necessary and insert into mounts of trim.

3 - Clip
- 4x
- Before installing upper trim, check for damage, replace if necessary.

4 - Expanding nut
- 2x

5 - Concealment cap
- 2x

6 - Clip
- 12x

7 - Lower trim
- Pry off caps - 5 -.
- Remove bolts - 8 -.
- Unclip lower trim - 7 -, starting at bottom.
- Before installing trim, check clips - 6 -, replace if necessary and insert into mounts of trim.

8 - Bolt
- 4x

Let me know if you need anything else and feel free to rate my help here as this is how I receive credit for my time.Your 5 star rating is appreciated

Thanks Pete

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete ...looks like accompanying exploded view is for different year/model. My 2003 Passat wagon does not have an "upper trim". The panel is of one piece. However, close examination with a flash light revealed a small screw at the top edge, left and right, of the panel. Looks difficult to access.....maybe an offset phillips if there is such a thing.....

It may take a different head of phillips to access it.Is your model a wagon or does it have the trunk?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Wagon.......

That is odd as that is the info I show for a 2003 model Passat wagon.Were you able to remove those screws to see if the panel is removed then at all?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete... After some thought, I believe problem is the following: the hatch panel, including the two small screws just mentioned, is installed with the hatch OPEN or not yet attached to the car. Closing the hatch causes the two screws to abut up against interior side panels thereby making the screws inaccessible ..unless of course, the home mechanic is prepared to remove these side panels, access will not be possible....don't know where this will lead and this simple job appears to be growing .....thank you
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete....I think the following is the problem: the hatch panel must be attached to the panel during assembly and while the hatch is either OPEN or the hatch itself not yet mounted on the car. Once the hatch is closed it abuts up against the two side thereby covering the two small screws to which I have referred. The dilemma therefore is that the two screws can't be accessed as long as the gate is closed and the gate can't be opened unless the screws are removed thereby allowing the panel to be removed....and,
Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Sorry...sent before finished....as I was saying, short of removing the side panels and exposing the two screws in the hatch panel, removing the hatch panel does not seem possible.....thank you

I apologize for the delay as I was out of town.

Did you still need help with this here?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Pete..I checked with an on-line Passat Forum and received the following information: the 2003 Passat wagon hatch panel is in ONE piece. The two small screws I referred to are difficult to access but can be
by reaching up inside the two removable side panels. These cover the bumper jack and other taillights electronics. Also, it should be pointed out that the rear hatch panel, now ready to remove, must be pulled forward and not up......discovered in a moment of frustration after having attempted to lift the hatch straight up for a good twenty minutes. . in summation, I can only give you a B- for your efforts. You may have tried but your research led you to information not relevant to my query...thank you

I apologize that my info wasnt up to par here on this issue as sometimes it can be difficult to fully answer a question here without seeing the vehicle.If there is anything else I can do let me know as I strive to achieve a 5 star rating when possible.

Thanks Pete