vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

How much does this cost/ Okay, but I cannot afford much, 03

Customer Question

how much does this cost/
JA: I'm not sure of the exact price, but there's only a $5 deposit. The rest of the price information will be on the page I send you to.
Customer: Okay, but I cannot afford much
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 03 turbo s 6 spd
JA: Are you fixing your Turbo yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just trying to find what is wrong eit
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome. My name is ***** ***** you for visiting the site, I am reviewing your question and will reply shortly, thanks.

Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

What seems to be the problem with it?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I was driving down the road when all of a sudden i lost all power and car began slowing due to no power. i want to say engine was still running until it came to a full stop, tried to turn it over and nothing but the sound of starter brushes...so far we have taken off timing cover and found that it is indeed missing teeth...however, cam and crank both turn...we have not checked the valve cover yet as i am already beside myself with grief...i am hopeful that it is my crank tensioner being worn that caused this? here are some facts on my buggy...2003 1.8L Turbo (obvioiusly)
197K on it, I have replaced the timing belt for the first time at approximately 125K which was only 20K over recommended first change.
I have replaced the turbo, clutch...
I have replaced the fuel pump a few days ago because the symptoms lead me to believe that is what it was (intemittent and momentary losses of power, followed by a jerking re-power). Now i am wondering if THAT could have caused this mess??? OMG How likely is it that I am lucky enough to have the car gods smiling upon me enough to make it so that my engine (which has proved to be a very healthy one) is not damaged and only my tensioner, cam shaft sensor and timing belt are my only losses?Oh ya, the codes through up P0342 and P0102...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Oh ya, I cannot afford much on this question as i am fairly broke on top of everything else, so please keep this as cheap as possible even if it means you cannot help me
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
like i need to keep this below 40 bucks or LESS if possible
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
okay jerry I am 40 miles from home and need to borrow my friends car to drive home so I will be offline for about an hour...any insight would be helpful...I know these facts: The troubleshooting from online threads say that it could be my cam sensor adjustment motor on the back of the head, the crank tensioner...I am thinking the P0102 code is secondary to all that has happened with timing belt and merely a symptom of it going out, thus the problem is trying to figure out what caused the timing belt to get raked over so that once I replace everything this does not happen again...I love my little buggy, it has honestly been one of the best cars i have ever owned and I am an old school Ford big block lover who has only owned pre 1972 detroit horsepower and this car has been a friggin road warrior...i mean REALLY good seeming as though I abuse the crap out of it and put on average about 20K a year on it...Anyways, like i said, any input i am grateful to have...but again, I cannot afford any more than $40 bucks
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

I see, thanks. Although we are not allowed to discuss money with any customers, I have no control over pricing.

Must be a Beetle with the 1.8T?

So, it sounds like the timing belt is bad, throwing a P0342 code, (probably because the camshaft isn't turning) and the cam and crank both turn by hand.

Does the water pump have any wobble in the shaft? Of course, does it turn as well?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Hello? I never heard back from you?
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

I am so sorry. Please allow me to post it again, thanks.

"Although we are not allowed to discuss money with any customers, I have no control over pricing.

Must be a Beetle with the 1.8T?

Does the water pump have any wobble in the shaft? Of course, does it turn as well?"

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No, the water pump is not wobbling and it does move freely
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I KNOW the timing belt is fried, what I do not know is why after only 70K miles of use, and I need to try and figure that out so that I can fix the issue so that when I fix my car the same thing does not happen again.
That is why I was wondering if there is a way i can troubleshoot the situation to determine if it was a bad crank/belt tensioner, a bad cam sensor, crank sensor, etc...that threw my belt...I cannot afford to keep throwing money at this darn thing and I was not planning on having to replace the timing belt for another, what...? Not for another 80K or so per the cars manual...
Expert:  Jerry replied 1 month ago.

I haven't run into that on any of them as of yet, but wait there may be someone that has. . I will opt out and open it back up. Please DON’T REPLY to this post as that will lock the question back to me, also DON’T RATE THE ANSWER yet, someone should be along shortly, I’m sure, thanks and sorry I wasn’t able to help with it.