vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a. 2005 vw passat gls turbo diesel 2.0 tdi. When i

Customer Question

Hi. I have a. 2005 vw passat gls turbo diesel 2.0 tdi. When i bought the car originally, it had black smoke coming from the exhaust pipe and a loud rattling noise under the hood that can be heard from down the street. I got the, piston rings, camshafts, and oil filter. After the car was running fine for awhile. Then all of a sidden a light came on in my car saying 'low oil pressure stop the car.' so i took the car back to a mechanic and got the tensioners, glow plugs and oil pump replaced. Now there is a whole bunch of white smoke coming from the exhaust pipes apon startup and driving. What could be wrong?
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: So when i took the car to a mechanic the first time the noise was coming from the pistons, canshafts and lifters. I had got it replaced so the noise died down. Well originally there was black smoke coming from the exhaust when i gad got a new oil pump. Took it back to the mechanic and he said he did something to get rid of it. But now white smoke comes out.
JA: Are you fixing your Passat yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, i take it to a mechanic who has a shop that works on diesels. From what i know the mechanic looked at the turbo, the motor basically everything he could think of. He think its something dealing with the vents
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: The car is a 2005 with around 145,000 miles on it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  vwtech0405 replied 1 month ago.

On the white smoke issue did he check the camshaft lobes ??