gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

95 jetta- replaced most hard brake lines - some soft. bled

Customer Question

95 jetta- replaced most hard brake lines - some soft. bled system 3 times. no signs of leaks or reservoir fluid loss. I have intermittent rough idle and sometimes the car stalls/stops. Could it be a vacuum line?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

Is this a manual transmission?

How have you tested the ABS, by locking up on sand or gravel?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my abs does not work. I have a vagcom cable and the abs codes read that two wheel sensors are not working. My bently shop manual says I have a Teves 4 abs and does not require cycling. Just normal brake bleeding. I have motive bled all wheels and speed bleeder bled the front calipers. Rear are drums. My brake pedal is soft but not unusable. I was able to lock the brakes up and leave rubber on the asphalt. All I want is a harder pedal and no rough idle/stalled once. The stall only happened when the car was cold, I started it with my foot on the brake, released e-brake, put car in reverse on a level surface. Foot still on brake. Very rough idle. Waited to see what would happen and the car stalled. Should I start replacing vacum lines/ check valve etc.? Thanks
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
auto transmission

OK- I would start out letting the car idle, and seeing if you can hear any air hissing sounds- start under the dash, it may be an issue with your brake booster, and you can usually hear it from under the dash when you depress the brake pedal. Then move to the engine bay and listen for any air hissing leaks while you move and manipulate vacuum hoses. Roughness at idle is almost always caused by an air leak, because intake manifold vacuum is so high at idle, and also because the amount of air needed is low, so any change to that is major.

Which sensors does it say are not working? That will keep the ABS from working at all, if it doesn't know what speed the wheels are going it can't tell which ones to pulse!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Right front, left rear abs sensors. I am ok without abs.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thanks for the answer.
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
domo domo nihongo hanshimasuka watasi no okusan ha nihonjin desu. gomen ne watasi no nihongo ga saite desu. Thanks again for the answer.