vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

The check engine light in my 2000 Volkswagon Jetta does not

Customer Question

The check engine light in my 2000 Volkswagon Jetta does not come on. I took the dash apart and checked the light, which does work. Any suggestions?
Submitted: 7 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 days ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

So does the engine starts and runs ?

any recent work done to the vehicle?

any recent accidents?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
engine runs. Just won't pass smog. Check engine light will not come on. No DTC's when plugged into OBD2.
Checked fuses. Just to be sure, which fuse is it?
No recent work, no recent accidents.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 days ago.

i do need a vin # to check this out!!

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
why do you need a vin #?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
This is the first time the smog technician noticed that the check engine light was not functional, I read on tdi forums that the check engine LED can burn out. I have owned it for several years about 5 to be exact. by the way, the car is a TDI, 251k miles, standard transmission.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 7 days ago.

there is no particular fuse for the light itself. is there any other lights or gauges not working?

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
no, everything else seems to work gaugewise , cruise control doesn't work, stopped a few years ago. and now in the process of checking the MIL LED i seemed to have set off the airbag sensor. but that is new as of this evening.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 4 days ago.

ok one thing to check blue connector of the instrument cluster pin 3 to the ecu connector pin 20 need a resistance measurement and instrument cluster blue connector #11 to ecu pin 27 please .