gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

For some reason, my 01 vw passage 2.8 isn't heating

Customer Question

for some reason, my 01 vw passage 2.8 isn't heating correctly. the radiator has been replaced. no leaks, the heater core isn't clogged, only heats good when I'm driving. pushing the ccolant threw the system. also the water pump has been replace in the past 2 years. any ideas
JA: Have you checked the coolant level? Have you checked to make sure the thermostat is working?
Customer: the level is good. I did replace the thermostat in the past 3 yrs however, I think I'm going to replace it tomorrow. just because.
JA: What is the model of your '01 VW?
Customer: 2.8 v6 with ATQ engine type
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: everything. I I have become a vw/audi tech in the years ive owned my vw.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: i can pretty much diagnosis anything, , however this is stumping me
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 13 days ago.

Have you checked the coolant flow at the reservoir at idle and at about 2000rpm? I know these pumps don't fail the same way as the 2.0, but it sounds like it is not pushing coolant unless you really have the rpms up.

it may be your secondary coolant pump.