sprinkles08, ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  ASE Master and Advanced level certified. Factory trained with 15 years dealership experience

I have both engine management lights and traction control

Customer Question

I have both engine management lights and traction control lights on van is also in limp mode
JA: Do you know the code? Did you check the fuses?
Customer: It been on 3 different computers reading alsorts of faults
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 2013 crafter 143 mwb
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: A local garage ran the test
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Traction control light did go off and van came out of limp mode but after turning off then starting again it was back on and in limp mode again . The is outside my house with the battery disconnected as I was told to try that 🤔
Submitted: 9 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 9 days ago.

Hello and welcome to Justanswer!

The warning lights are coming on because a failure has been seen and fault codes are setting. If the lights are all being caused by the same problem then the ABS related lights are coming on because of the engine performance concern. The traction control system relies on the ability to request torque from the engine.

Disconnecting the battery will clear fault codes. This will make the problem harder to diagnose and will not repair anything.

Do you know what P and C codes are currently setting?

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Don't know what p and c codes are ��
Guy at garage said a code but I can't remember what . He said it read the throttle pedal was faulty along with others but didn't believe they were the issue
Expert:  sprinkles08 replied 8 days ago.

There aren't any codes that point to the failure of a specific component, they only give a direction for testing. P codes set in the powertrain control module and C codes in chassis related modules, they start with a P or a C and have four digits. I'd need to know the actual codes to be able to give possible causes for the problem.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
Van is booked in on Tuesday
Is it safe to drive the 7miles to the garage when these lights are on ?
Both pigs tail and engine management lights are flashing at the same time . I read not to drive when like this . If the garage are stuck I'll get codes and get back to u
Thanks bryan

If the engine light is flashing it indicates a severe misfire and it isn't recommended to drive it in that condition.