Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

02 jetta TDI wagon extreme negative caber

Customer Question

02 jetta TDI wagon
extreme negative caber
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 8 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose), my normal schedule online is around lunch and after dinner past midnight.

Worn out front suspension components are the normal cause for negative camber. Camber can be adjusted by relocating the subframe with a little bit of movement and in some cases relocating the upper shock mount bolts. If the vehicle has been in a wreck you may have a bent subframe or lower control arm to blame. What is the measurement your getting and do you know the ride height reading?

This is my 1st answer of what can be many. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. At the top of your screen is the rating box that you only get to use once. Please make sure to complete the mandatory rating when ready or reply and say "I am pleased with my answer". Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way.

Thanks Moose.

Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Chris I thought I indicated my negative camber is rear not front . 1-1.5 neg camber on both rear wheels. I now just swapped in an axle beam from a car that wore tires fine, only to find the same 1 -1.5 degrees on the rear wheels again? So obviously axle beam is not the issue. Can you help
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
Remember this is 02 jetta wagon. If you are not familier with vw mk4 rear axle design you probably can't answer .As of now I pd $ 48 nothing!
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I'm wondering if it pertains to position of axle pivot when tightening pinch bolt, to lock bushings into frame brackets? Or possible fix shimming bracket to frame connections? But considering those bushings are rubber will that help my issue at all?
Customer: replied 7 days ago.
I will be available around lunch .
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 7 days ago.

This is all I got in the original post. 02 jetta TDI wagon extreme negative caber.

On the 02 model there is not a rear ale camber adjustment like on the later years. Possible causes for rear axle negative camber are going to be worn suspension causing the ride height to be to low or a bent axle beam. Here are the allowed specs.

Customer: replied 6 days ago.
are u saying over 1 degree of negative camber is correct? That cannot be right ? I'm wearing out brand new tires on inside edge in 1000 miles! Can you tell me how to fix this or not. I don't mind paying if I get answer that will help correct this issue but not spending $50 on no answer.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 6 days ago.

I did not say what amount of camber is allowed. I provided the specs for the camber on this model from VW. Did you check all the things I mentioned that can cause the camber to be incorrect?

Have you checked for the rear toe out of specs?

Have you checked the rear ride height?

Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 5 days ago.

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 3 days ago.
No I have car apart figuring what to do. I do not have alignment machine only camber gauge (bear manufacturing). I wanted to know if there is a good fix for this. Since like I said I put an axle from another car that did not wear tires but clearly has same issue on my car. Wheels are visibly at extreme negative camber bottom of wheel out with top leaning inward ! I don't understand why this would be considering both rear tire wear out after 1000 miles on inside edge