gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

Trying to replace old halogen headlights on 2012 Eos to new

Customer Question

trying to replace old halogen headlights on 2012 Eos to new LED lights
JA: Have you checked the fuses? Have you checked the bulbs?
Customer: all are fine, trying to figure out where the headlights plug in since a 1/4 turn removes them with no wire. And I might have to remove whole headlight to install the new LED type that has a fan on the end of it
JA: Are you fixing your Eos yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: pulled out old bulb and found no wires, started to remove grill and headlight. got the grill detaced at top, but not the bottom attached to bumper. removed 2 bolts to get headlight out, but it would not come out
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 8 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 8 days ago.

The contacts are built into the base where the bulb rotates in.

To remove the grill, you need to reach through with your fingers flat, and lift a little tab at the bottom edge on both sides, and then pull it forward to remove. There are screws under the grill to release the bumper cover. You also remove the screws from underneath, and from the fenderwell area, and then slide it straight forward off the bumper. This will give you access to the other bolts that hold the headlight in place.

Customer: replied 8 days ago.
I still need to know how to get power for the new LED lights and polarity. The base is the same, but will not power from that.
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 6 days ago.

do you have a picture of the LED bulb?

Also, know that putting an LED bulb into a system that has had standard halogens will change the amount of resistance in the circuit- so the lights may not work, or if they do work, may still set a fault in the cluster.