gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified

I bought a VW bug 1999 second hand and the trunk door

Customer Question

I bought a VW bug 1999 second hand and the trunk door doesn't open. The lock on the inside has been disassembled.
JA: What exactly is happening to the trunk?
Customer: So the plastic on the inside of the trunk door is off, and you can see where the key would turn to open the latch, that connector is missing and the lock comes out of the socket
JA: What is the model of your '99 VW?
Customer: 2L Manaul
JA: Are you fixing your vehicle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Would like to fix it ourself. Havent tried anything
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no thakns
Submitted: 14 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 13 days ago.

Whether you open the trunk with the key cylinder or with the remote, it turns the same pivot to pull the rod that releases the latch. Unfortunately, over time the lock cylinder pivot starts to corrode- being aluminum, it gets white and powdery- and it will stick. So then either the hatch will not open at all, or it will open and stick with the rod pulled, and not allow it to latch again. You would need to get a new lock cylinder assembly and the pivot that attaches to the backside of it.