vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

2008 VW Touareg VE FSI P2181 Coolant system performance

Customer Question

2008 VW Touareg VE FSI P2181 Coolant system performance code. Engine Temperature gauges do not respond quickly. Engine is not overheating. I can clear code and it comes back in a few days. Thermostat? If so, is t hard replace by yourself?
JA: Have you checked the coolant? Have you checked for a leak in the cooling system?
Customer: V8 VSI V8 FSI
JA: Are you fixing your Touareg yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Just started troubleshooting.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: Exact location of t-stat?
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Tim Mohr replied 16 days ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** htermostat is located under the thermostat housing, follow the upper radiator hose to the engine, and it leads to the housing, remove the hose from the housing, then remove the 4 bolts holding the housing to the engine, then the housing comes off and the thermo comes straight out, would you you like a picture of the housing?