gomi_otaku
gomi_otaku, VW Technician
Experience:  VW FastTrack '00-'01, VW Academy Chicago and Seattle '00-present, VW Certified
12249065

I have a 2011 Jetta (base model). About 2 months ago it

Customer Question

I have a 2011 Jetta (base model). About 2 months ago it started stalling. Most times it was while sitting in traffic or waiting at a stop or making a turn. Very dangerous situation. In all cases I was able to restart the car, most times after a couple of attempts. In addition at times during a cold start it starts hard. It takes 2 to 10 attempts in some instances. I have to think the hard start and stalling are related.
The car has been at the dealer for over a week. They have exchanged everything in the ignition and fuel systems, upgraded the computer software, exchanged sensors and have not found the problem. They have been working with corporate throughout this process.
The good part is they have been changing out parts and then replacing the old part as nothing they have done has corrected the problem. Now I'm going to have to start spending decent money in a attempt to find the problem. They want to change out a wiring harness which is going to cost me around $1,000 and if that doesn't work, what next?
Has anybody come across this problem that could assist with some repair advice?
Thanks, Steve
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  gomi_otaku replied 1 month ago.

Is this the engine wiring harness? I had one like this, would get some odd issues, replacing the crank sensor didn't fix it (which is what I was thinking your problem might be) but when I replaced the engine harness and the crank sensor together, it fixed the issue.

If the harness doesn't fix it, is VWOA going to put the old one back in, or just eat the cost?