peterpete190, Technician
Experience:  Over 17 years diagnosing and repairing various model vehicles.

2008 VW Jetta, Electric coolant fan turns on by itself after

Customer Question

2008 VW Jetta, Electric coolant fan turns on by itself after car has been sitting for a while and runs the battery dead. Trying to find the Fan Control Module, but can't find a definitive location for it.
JA: Did you test the battery with a voltmeter? And have you ever changed one before?
Customer: Yes to the battery...changed battery out twice. Now it has brand new battery and ALL electricals work, including the fan when the car is running. The fan acts absolutely normal except that it will turn on by itself after the car sits for a while.
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: I am fixing myself. I started by trying to remove the fuse overnight. The fan still turned on and ran the battery dead. I'm trying to replace the fan control module but can't find the location of it. As of right now, everytime I turn the car off I have to disconnect the ground on the battery in order to prevent the battery from going dead.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: I think that's it.
Submitted: 16 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  peterpete190 replied 16 days ago.

Hi my name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist with this today.In some cases I may need more info to assist better.I apologize for any delay.

On this model the coolant fan control module is integrated into the cooling fan on the passenger side.Seen below.If this module fails (which can commonly cause this issue here ) it needs replaced as an assembly.

6 - Engine Coolant Level (ECL) Sensor -G32-

16 - Coolant Fan 2 -V177-

17 - Coolant Fan -V7- and Coolant Fan Control (FC) Control Module -J293-
◊The coolant fan control module is integrated in the coolant fan.
◊Integrated with Right Coolant Fan -V35- (if applicable)

If more help is needed, use the reply tab to continue our conversation. If no further assistance is needed, kindly rate my service,your 5 star rating is appreciated.You can rate at any time and we can continue to work on your question as this will not close out your question.Keep in mind in some cases it can be difficult to fully diagnose or help repair your vehicle without seeing it and I work on delivering the best possible answer from what I see to work with.

Thanks Pete