vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

I have a V-10 Diesel, with the backfiring problem. Also,

Customer Question

I have a V-10 Diesel, with the backfiring problem. Also, there is something wrong with exhaust system (says my local VW Dealer, whom I have ZERO FAITH IN). I understand you must remove engine by tearing vehicle apart. And it takes a special lift to control. I like the vehicle, and want to keep. I have had great service so far, but I met the mechanic the locals recommend, who has NEVER worked on this V-10 at all. Where is a decent mechanic in the US, that VW trusts, to repair this vehicle.
JA: Where exactly do you think the noise is coming from? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Right side of engine. Several months, but ONLY occurs on HARD acceleration. Otherwise it runs fine.
JA: What year is your Special?
Customer: 2008
JA: Are you fixing your Special yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: No, have left all repairs / oil changes / battery replacement / window fixes to local VW dealer, Clay Cooley. But this mechanic is NOT up to remove & repair.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, car has 54,000 + miles and still runs well, without hard acceleration. Decent mileage, given the power available. I actually rather like it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results. Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!! I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be
patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.
Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

i do need some more info please!!

Was a diagnosis performed and what did the dealer say is the issue?

and yes the motor and trans needs to be lowered as an assembly .

What is the vin # of the vehicle to get the factory information ?

thanks