vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.

1998 VW jetta 2.0 cuts out when accelerating. Lifting

Customer Question

1998 VW jetta 2.0 cuts out when accelerating. Lifting accelerator seems to reset it briefly and can continue until it cuts out again. I suspect a defective sensor cutting off fuel. Have not read codes yet, is the terminal under the steering column?
Submitted: 13 days ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
do you have my phone number?(###) ###-####
Customer: replied 13 days ago.
upon initial attempt at starting after months of storage it would only fire while cranking. i found intake air hose was off and reconnected. that allowed car to start and idle. tried to drive away and encountered cut out problem. added fresh fuel and no change. dont think it is a plugged fuel filter because as soon as you lift the accelerator and depress it again it comes back to life briefly. could be a plugged filter i suppose. what code would that throw?
Expert:  Amedee replied 13 days ago.

Hello and welcome!

My name isCustomerand I can assist you with your question.

Expert:  Amedee replied 13 days ago.

Please accept my offer and call me now