Chris(aka-Moose)
Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience
2499435

The engine won't crank when I turn the key, Steering wheel

Customer Question

The engine won't crank when I turn the key
JA: Can you turn the steering wheel at all? And what about the key? Is it worn or damaged?
Customer: Steering wheel turns, key is fine. Just replaced the clutch. When I got everything back together, the carea won't start
JA: What is the model/year of your VW?
Customer: 98 jetta tdi
JA: Are you fixing your Jetta yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Checked all the wiring and grounds from battery starter and alternator
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: VW
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 1 month ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

• Sorry no one has helped yet.
  • This is not an answer to your question, just an inquiry if your still needing/wanting help. Because I believe I can help.
  • I am travelling and on vacation this week but will do my best to get to you when online.
  • Its possible the clutch switch is to blame, can you do electrical diag?

Hello again Chris here,

• I am following up with you to see if you got everything you needed from my answer.
  • I have not heard back from you, so I assume you were not pleased. We're you pleased with my help?
  • If you were not pleased with my help, please let me know by replying so I can help more.
  • This post is coming up on the 7 day mark where it times out. When a post times out, that means it's no longer on my active list (you reply and I may never know it.)

Thanks Chris

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It's not the clutch interlock. It was disabled by the previous owner. I did electrical diagnostic, the starter is grounded, but the top part of the solenoid had no power, despite the battery being fully charged and having 12.2 volts

Here is the diagram I will be using https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/90220402/jettastart.pdf

Are you saying the large wire to the starter has no power from the battery?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
but there is power from the solenoid to the starter and everything is grounded out

If the large wire to the starter has no power then that is the first thing you must address for this no crank concern. The wire must be broken or making poor connection at the starter or battery end.