Lou P.
Lou P., ASE Certified Technician
Experience:  I Have knowledge in almost all car lines and can help with general questions and more!!!!!
27644750

My daughters beetle sounds like it's gonna just "blow up"

Customer Question

My daughters beetle sounds like it's gonna just "blow up" sometimes when the idle gets really loud sitting still. When the car is idling it's idle goes up and down and up and down. Her husband cleaned the 02 sensor (I think it was) and that didn't really help and we don't know of a mechanic to work on VW's around here. So, he is gonna try and fix it himself. The longer it sits running the louder it gets and it is also hard to start almost all the time. She gets so embarrassed at college that she waits til the people around her leave and then tries to start it. They are getting frustrated with the car and he wants to get rid of it. .. but, it A a beautifu, yellow 05 (I think) bettle. Do you have any advice to give her husband about working on it? Or know of anyone that wouldn't cost a fortune to fix it? We live in Treadway TN. Thanks
Category: VW
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

Hello, my name is***** and i will do my best to assist you.I am going over your story now and will reply back soon with some info,thanks!

Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

ok so the one thing that stands out is that you said that the engine gets louder the longer it idles, can you crate a youtube video of the noise?

when was the last time the oil was changed?

is the check engine light on?

are there any codes?

how does the car run besides the noise?

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
She lives about 5 min from me so I will have to get back to you on that. I can upload a video though when she comes up here. Will I be talking to you later or will it be someone else?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

it will be me as long as you reply to this chat and do not start another question

Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

so just reply back here with the link to the youtube video and ill listen to it. make sure that if you make the video you walk around the entire car and engine bay so i can get different perspectives of the sound. sometimes sound travels so its better to hear it from all angles.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Hello? Can I get back to later on that
Customer: replied 2 months ago.
Most of the time the idle is up and down. Only sometimes it goes up and don't come back down and that's when she cuts the car off.
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

yes for sure, you can reply back here whenever at any time. ill get an email when you reply so just give me time to check it.

as for the dying it can be a few things, so lets get the noise established first.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
The check engine light is on. It jerks when going almost constantly. It is an 04 model. Her husband said it's not he o2 sensor, it is the mass air flow sensor and the throttle body. Any advice ?
Expert:  Lou P. replied 2 months ago.

could be failing ignition coils, those are really common also a lot of the emissions hoses and lines are plastic and rot causing air leaks. those are the most common, throttle bodies do fail but the cars wont run if that is the case.