Chris(aka-Moose), VW Technician
Experience:  16 years of experience

2005 VW beetle 2.0L running rough while idle and driving

Customer Question

2005 VW beetle 2.0L running rough while idle and driving making noise like back fire starting. The engine check light blinks. I just changed the spark plugs. The car started cutting off while driving for a few seconds and cut back on. Had car checked by Advance no codes displaying they said Misfire Cylinder 1
JA: Does the light stay on, or does it blink?
Customer: IT Blinks
JA: Are you fixing your Beetle yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Yes fixing my self, only installed spark plugs.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: NO.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Chris(aka-Moose) replied 22 days ago.

Welcome, I'm Chris (aka Moose) I prefer to work when others don't, I am here around lunch and after dinner till after midnight.

A flashing check engine light means there is a misfire and you have a code for a misfire. Do you know how to conform good spark at this cylinder and injector pulse?

One possible cause for a misfire and backfire are compression issues from valve concerns. Can you check compression?

This is my 1st answer, but does not have to be my only answer. You the website and myself expect you to have a ~~~5 STAR EXCELLENT~~~ experience with my help. Please let me know if you are pleased by selecting a star rating above or by replying and saying your pleased. Not rating or rating 1-2 stars does not benefit you nor me in any way. Follow up and reply as often and when needed, there is no extra charge to do so.

Thanks Moose.