Martin, auto electrical
Experience:  South African Trade Diploma in Auto Electrical

I'm looking to buy pre-owned VW GTI, a 2012 2.0 ASutobahn

Customer Question

I'm looking to buy pre-owned VW GTI, a 2012 2.0 ASutobahn model with 52,000 miles. Concerned about possible service problems going forward and costs. Car has automatic transmission. I,m also considering (prefer) car with manual transmission. Need information before I proceed.
JA: How many miles are on the car? Is it the original transmission?
Customer: Don't know about transmission, car has 52,00 miles. I must go for now. Lookforward to your help.
JA: Are you fixing your GTI yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: VW
Expert:  Martin replied 24 days ago.

Hello, Welcome to Just Answer.

VW always have produced a quality cars, so I am going out from that stand point. There are some things I can tel you about the automatic transmissions they do need to be serviced at and around 100 000 miles, as the oil do get contaminated with iron fillings from the gears and the heat does alter the viscosity. There is also a filter inside the transmission that needs to be replaced. Other than that it will only be the standard service items. On prices I can not elaborate as I reside in South Africa.

The car does not have many miles on for the age so I can assume the car is in good mechanical condition.

This is all that I can think of, of the top of my head but should you want to know more please do not hesitate to ask.