vwnewton
vwnewton, VW Owner,ASE Master and L1 Advanced
Experience:  25 years of VW obsession turned into a job, last 15 years as a VW Tech.
13710235

My AC does not work on my 2002 GTI 1.8T along with a host of

Customer Question

Hello. My AC does not work on my 2002 GTI 1.8T along with a host of other related issues, or so I think. Can I troubleshoot this with someone?
Category: VW
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

Thanks for choosing Just Answer . I'm Wolfgang here to help!!

I am confident we can resolve your problem together. Please
understand that I don't know your skill level. In most cases when you have a problem
with the way the vehicle performs, specialized tooling is required to acquire computer
data/information or engine testing results. We didn’t build these complicated vehicles; we
just diagnose and fix them. Also understand that I can't see, smell, hear, or touch the
vehicle either, so it may take a few replies to get to satisfactory results.

I am also going to direct you with the fastest, easiest and most common things to check first. Please be

patient and permit me to do what I do best.
I also try to give all of the information you may need, expecting a “positive rating” in
return. I will also continue assisting you after you have rated me, if necessary. If there
is any reason I cannot get a positive rating, please let me know why “in advance”, so I
can go another direction for you. I am sorry you’re having this problem; I’ll help you
through it.

Note there may be an issue where the complexity of the issue will require a Premium Service. This service will be an addition to the normal question cost. Usually it does not come down to this but keep in mind!!

Below is my first answer or request for more information. If you do not understand it, or you need more information from me, or need me to go in more detail.

I DO NEED SOME MORE INFO.

• I DO NEED A VIN #
  • ANY RECENT ACCIDENTS ?
  • ANY RECENT REPAIRS BEFORE THIS ISSUE?
  • WHEN YOU TURN ON THE A/C DOES THE COOLING FANS OPERATE?

PLEASE LET ME KNOW

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Wolfgang!Thank you for coming to my assistance. I am at a loss with this and I greatly appreciate the support as forums are my only other option and it's hard to ask amateurs and hobbyists (such as myself) for definite answers.I will get you the VIN shortly as I need to go outside to check this, but as for the rest of the information.- No accidents
- Recent repairs is a complicated one. For the last year or so, my coolant fans have been fickle causing the car to run hot. In addition to this, my After Run Coolant Pump has also quit. I have replaced the pump as well as the Fan Control Module but the fans now don't even run on high like they did with my old Fan Control Module.
- This relates to the point above. No, the fans do not operate when the AC is turned on. The Cabin button illuminates (Actually, the AC button is always dimly illuminated since my recent change to a new FCM which I find very odd)I will get that VIN here shortly.Thanks again for your time Wolfgang!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

ok from the radiator fan switch plug you need to start to peel off the tape wrap and follow the wires. there is a series of splices that most likely are corroded or broken . these wires needs to be checked first and repaired. this will take a bit due to limited room.

let me know if the splices

thanks

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
The VIN is 9BWDE61J524007752The engine is a 1.8T AWP.And by the Radiator Fan Switch Plug are you talking about the two plugs that connect into the Fan Control Module?Thanks!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

fan switch on the radiator

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Is this the switch that measures the coolant temperature in the radiator to signal the cooling fans to come on? I have had to replace this sensor once before recently but I did not check any wiring.Sorry for asking so many questions. I am familiar with my car enough to work on it, but I have been confounded with this issue of mine for a long time now and I just want to ensure that we are on the same page.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

yes correct!! its a common thing of the splice

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you for clarifying this Wolfgang! You have already been a big help. As it sits right now, it is dark where I live and I do not possess a garage unfortunately to check this wiring right now. I am nit sure how Just Answer works as this is my first time using it, but can I get back to you in a few days sometime when I have the lighting and time to look at this wiring?Please let me know,
Thanks!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

just get back asap with any new updates

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Thank you again. Is there anything else to check while I am down there looking at this wiring?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

i do not want to go far ahead because of missed steps.

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I understand. I will try to look sometime tonight or tomorrow and take pictures as well.Thanks!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

got it!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Hello Wolfgang,I apologize for the long delay in getting back to you. While I was disconnecting the battery today to look at that wiring you told me about, I noticed that the cable responsible for my cooling fans on top of my battery fuse box was burnt. I can't tell if the wiring inside the insulation is damaged. I have attached images of this.Could this be what is causing my issue? And how would I fix this?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

that is a great start!!!! what position the wire please?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Pardon me for not understanding, but what do you mind by the position of the wire?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

from what stud from left to right did that wire come from the top fuse box?

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Let me check.
Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Out of the six positions, it is the one right in the middle. I looked up a diagram and the one that's burnt on my fuse box is S164.
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

ok that wire goes to the fan control module connector . replace that wire and then double check the operation!!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
I will check tonight! Do you know how I would go about getting a replacement wire?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

i do know it is a 2.5 mm wire = 10 gauge wire . do not use soldier at all!! use heat shrink butt connector at the fan control module side but a new eyelet on the fuse side!!

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Got it. I will investigate this further and try to get this replaced soon. I will keep you updated!
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

ok

Customer: replied 6 months ago.
Quick question though. How far down do I need to splice a new wire with the old one via a butt connector? That wire runs down underneath the air box which is very hard to access. Could I just cut off the last 5 inches or so of the wire and splice on a new end with new wiring and an eyelet?
Expert:  Wolfgang replied 6 months ago.

the issue is how far the corrosion went . you can try 5 but i bet when you strip the insulation you will see black. so it is a crap shoot on this!!!